Someday plan

This is my first Josh and Maya story, or I guess I should say stories. Anyway, I hope that you guys enjoy this first one that I came up with. 🙂 I apologize in advance for any incorrect spelling or grammar errors.

"No!" Maya said as she grabbed Riley's hand and pulling her back down into the booth at Topanga's.

"You turned sixteen a month ago Maya, he should of already asked you by now!" Riley said as she once again tried to get up but was once again pulled back down.

"Riley, stop! It's ok he might just be taking his time." Maya tried to talk sense into her best friend before she went over there and made a fool of them both.

"Mom says that sixteen is the age of consent in New York laws!" Riley argued.

"So he hasn't asked yet, that doesn't mean he won't we just got to be patient. Not everything happens immediately that's why it's called the long game."

Joshua Matthews was currently sitting at a booth over on the other side of Topanga's directly across from both of the girls working on a essay for college. Maya had turned sixteen and someday had still yet to come. Maya didn't expect it but Riley was anxiously waiting for the day her uncle would man up and ask her.

"I just want to see you happy peaches, that's exactly why I have to do this!" Riley got up and dodged Maya's grasping hands as she made her way over to her favorite uncle.

"Uncle Josh, may I speak with you for a sec?" Riley asked as she made it to her destination. Josh looked up from his laptop to his niece and sighed.

"Can it wait?" He asked feeling the stress of all his exams weighing down on him.

"It's about Maya." That's all Riley had to say for her to have her uncles undying attention. Josh closed his computer and motioned Riley to sit down across from him so he could look at her properly.

"Is she ok?" He asked confused as he looked over and saw the blond beauty looking everywhere but him. He let out a small chuckle as he looked back over at his niece.

"Maya's fine. I on the other hand am annoyed." Riley said getting straight to the point. Josh raised an eye brow of confusion.

"You ladies fighting?" He asked amused with a small smile playing on his face.

"No, and even if we were I don't see how it could be funny." Riley snapped a frown coming on her face. Josh let out a small laugh and shook his head.

"Right what was I possibly thinking? So what's up?" The seriousness starting to set on his tone.

"Maya really likes you." Riley bluntly says. Josh nods his head in conferment

"And I like her. I thought we established that?" Josh asked tilting his head in confusion.

"Do you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Do you like her uncle Josh? Because if your just messing with her feelings then I will have to kill you!"

"Riley what are you talking about!" Josh demands as he starts to get annoyed with her.

"Maya just turned sixteen last month! The age of consent!" Riley snaps lowering her voice a little bit so she wouldn't disturb the people around them. Josh was confused for a second but then started to nod his head as the realization started to step in.

"Riley." Josh said as a smile played on his lips.

"I will kill you Josh! You may be my uncle but Maya's my best friend and she doesn't deserve to be hurt."

"Riley."

"We protect each other! That's what we do and I will not sit back and let you hurt her like this!"

"Riley."

"She's thunder and I'm lighting! We have rings!"

"Riley!" Josh raised his voice a little bit to finally get Riley's attention. Josh couldn't help the smile on his face as he looked at his red faced niece. A minute passed and neither of them said anything until finally Riley spoke up and said something.

"She has been hurt way to many times in her life Josh. She doesn't need it from you too." The smile from Josh's face was long gone now and he had replaced it with a serious one.

"I'm aware that sixteen is the age of consent, Riley. We had a long talk on her sixteen birthday about it." Josh said as he watched Riley's eyes become wide.

"Oh... She didn't tell me that."

"Maybe because you were to busy trying to get over here. Maya and I like each other, yes. We want to date, yes. But right now both of our lives are way to busy for one another. I have college, she's had her final years of high school, I only come over on weekends, she usually spends weekends with her parents now that Shawn is her dad, I go back to Philly for holidays, she's here with you guys. Do you get what I'm trying to say?" Josh asked Riley as it was her turn for the realization to come on her face.

"That even though you guys want to be together your lives are keeping you apart. That it would be a better and healthier relationship if you guys waited until you both had time on your hands. That's where the long game comes in." Riley stated smiling. Josh smiled and nodded.

"Maya and I have agreed to wait until she was finished with high school before we talk about going on a date." Josh said simply. Riley nodded.

"What if you meet someone else? what if she meets someone else?" Riley asked.

"Life has a funny way of doing things, Riley. It's long enough to make happy endings, but too short to have regrets. If Maya meets someone other then me then life knew that we wouldn't end up in the end anyway." Josh said leaning back against the booth. Riley looked over at Maya and then back at Josh.

"I just want her happy." She said as she smiled at Maya drawing on her sketch pad. Josh looked over at Maya and a smile of his own made its way across his face.

"So do I."

----------------------------------------------