A Father's Observation

Shawn Hunter had only ever dreamed about having a family once in his life, and that was back in his later high school and early college days when he was in a relationship with a specific person. Then when that relationship fell through, so did all of those hopes and dreams he had for his future.

But at lease he always still had his best friend! Or at least he did, until his best friend had a kid of his own. He remembered being at the hospital the night Riley was born. He had been right there along side Cory, pacing the halls as nerves set in. Then when it was time for Cory to be with Topanga in the room, Shawn stayed in the hall, still pacing the floors as he waited for his best friend to come out with the good news.

He remembered holding Riley in his arms, he was the first person to be let in after Topanga had given birth, the first person to hold her after they had. He remembered the overwhelming emotions wash through him as Riley wrapped her little hand around his index finger, the way he fell in love with the baby that was a perfect mix of the two closest people in his life. He remembered the pride that he felt when Cory and Topanga named him Godfather, and he remembered the guilt as he packed up his things that night and left the city for good.

It was just too hard. He was happy for Cory and Topanga, he had always been their biggest cheerleader, the most supportive friend that anyone could ever have. But watching them snuggle around together in the hospital bed, a family of two that has now become a family of three. He couldn't stay. Realizing that he could have had this with a certain someone once upon a time, and now he was just simply the best friend watching from the sidelines, it was too much.

There was one big thing that he realized as he watched Cory kiss Riley on top of her head before sitting her gently down in her little bed. They weren't kids anymore, they hadn't been for a while. His best friend was now responsible for someone else's life. And staying there would only mean getting in the way. Cory had found his purpose in life, to be a family man. A husband, a father. Now it was time for Shawn to find his purpose.

Falling in love again had not been on his bingo card among the visits that he took to go see his best friend and his growing family. Nor had getting close with his Goddaughter's best friend and growing feelings of fondness and responsibility for her. Maya had come out of the blue, almost like his past demons hitting him right in the face.

The universe had a sick sense of humor, throwing Maya into the mix of his already chaotic life. Just a few times in meeting her and suddenly, the visits to the Matthews household just weren't to visit his best friend anymore. In fact, slowly it had faded from being the main reason to just a reason. He just wanted to make sure she was doing alright, making sure that things in her life were going good. And if she needed anything, then he would be there to help provide it.

Anytime he had ever been asked if he had kids while he was away on his job, he would simply chuckle and say he wouldn't be traveling so much if he did. This time, he had already pulled out his phone to show a picture of Maya and him together on the weekend trip he took them on when he realized what he was doing. It hit him in the chest like a ton of bricks.

Then when Katy came along, it almost felt natural to build a relationship with the woman that was the mother to the child he had become so fond of. And as he became closer with Maya, he became closer with Katy, and suddenly without realizing it had had happened, he had a family.

Now, years later as he and his wife dropped off their daughter at college for the first time, he realized that this was what Cory must have felt like the first time he dropped Riley off to go to summer camp for a week. He hugged her goodbye and kissed her on top of the head. "I love you, dad." She said, and it almost made him choke as he said it back.

Shawn remembered how he used to make fun of Cory whenever it came to Riley and her dating life. The way his best friend would deny it, or fight it. It was a totally "uncool" thing for a parent to do. "You just wait, Shawnie. You wait until your daughter starts doing the same thing!"