Riany Days

This is on the cuter side, figured it would nice after all the problematic ones I've done, haha. Enjoy.
_____________________________
Drip drip drop drip

The rain hit the windows of the apartment as maya brought her mug up to her lips to take a sip of her tea. The forecast said to expect rain up until the early hours of the next morning. There wasn't expected to be a storm in the area until well later on, Maya innerly sighed in relief in the hopes that Josh would be home by then.

Maya Hunter-Matthews had never been a big fan of thunder storms, but after marrying Josh her fear of storms were a mere afterthought. Josh has always been good at calming her nerves in ways that nobody else could. And although she still wasn't a fan of them, they had become a lot more bearable in his company.

Josh was working until eight that night, helping out as an assistant over at the law firm where Topanga worked at. It was a part time job on top of the full time that Josh already had, but Topanga needed the assistance and they could use the extra money around here.

Topanga had called it a day around three o'clock when she was the weather forecast. Not wanting to be on the subway in the heavy rain, she closed the art studio down and put all her latest projects on hold until next week. Most of her clients not really giving a deadline on when their art piece had to be done.

Shawn had rented out a small- yet profitable building for her and Josh's wedding gift over the summer. Both of their dreams were quite simple. Maya opens her own art studio and Josh opens his own psychology office. Both in which had been possible since the building was a small two stories. Josh was able to build a little lobby area with a bathroom, his office and own bathroom to the side. While Maya was able to take up the top story with an art studio. 'Killing two birds with one stone' Shawn had called it.

Although Maya was still fresh out of college and Josh with a few years of experience under his belt, they had been able to make a good living off of it over the last six months. It didn't take long for word to get out and Maya and Josh both already had a handful of clients.

On days like today when there wasn't a rush on getting an art piece done, or Josh didn't have any patients to see, Maya would sometimes pick up some shifts over at the diner and Josh helped Topanga out over at the office. A mere partnership if you thought about it. Josh helping Topanga psychoanalysis her clients and then she referring Josh as a counselor to those who really needed it. And though kids was where Josh's passion was, he didn't mind helping out people of any age.

At twenty-two and twenty-five, Maya and Josh considered themselves very fortunate to be as well off as they were in such a young stage in their lives, as well as only having six months of marriage under their belts. But they had been dating three years prior to when they got married. So to them, they were just adding to the number. Their lives weren't much to the public eye, but they were happy and they were in love.

Maya put her mug into the sink as the lights started to flicker on and off. A distant clap of thunder came from overhead and Maya inwardly groaned. She grabbed the candles they kept in the top shelf of the hall closet. Placing them all over the living room in places that she knew they wouldn't get knocked over in the events of something.

As soon as all the candles were lit, as if it were planned, all the lights flickered off. 'Wonderful' Maya thought as she relied on the very little daylight still creeping in through the windows of her and Josh's bedroom to grab some flashlights they kept in their bedside tables.

"Maya?" Josh called out as she heard the front door open and shut. Maya perked up at the sound of her Husbands voice.

"In here!" She called back. She grabbed a couple of flashlights and headed back into the living room to greet him. Josh smile lit up as Maya came into view.

"Hey." He said as he leaned in and kissed her soundly on the lips. "It's getting bad out there. Topanga's boss sent everyone home early. Not safe to be out on the streets." He answered her unasked questions about why he was home early.

"Well I'm not complaining." Maya whispered as she kissed him again. "Since we're going to be stuck here for the rest of tonight and tomorrow, I figured we'd make the most of it." She gestured to the piles of blankets and pillows that she had brought into the living room and on the couch. Josh laughed as he took his shoulder bag off and tossed in the corner somewhere.

"We're going to be sixty and still setting up forts in our living room during thunderstorms." He told her as he grabbed an end of a blanket, helping her throw part of it over the back of the couch, using the furniture as a base.

"Well duh, otherwise I would consider our married life a complete and utter failure." She responded.

As if they were experts at fort building, Maya and Josh had the makeshift tent built in their living room in ten minutes. Maya was now setting the inside up with pillows and junk food while Josh built a fire in the small fireplace they had. Turning the heat down low and cuddling up in soft-thick blankets.

The only side of the tent that was open was the side that had the fireplace in view. There was something about laying there, watching the fire that really seemed to comfort the both of them. The storm in the background had not been given a second thought as it got a lot closer and louder.

Tangling their legs and arms around each other, Maya rested her head in the crook of Josh's neck as Josh stared into the fire while stroking the exposed skin of Maya's back where her shirt had ridden up with the pad of this thumb. Maya let out a content sigh. This right here, had to be the closest thing to heaven that earth had to offer.

This was what Josh and Maya called a date night. Just being together, cuddled up and talking about anything that might hit their minds at that moment, or not even saying anything at all. Just being there with one another. This was just Josh and Maya.

Sometimes their friends couldn't quite understand why the two didn't want to double up on dates. "You're young and in your twenties! Have some fun!" Andrew, Josh's old roommate from college had once told them. Most of them thought that Josh and Maya were just sex addicts and couldn't get enough of each other. That's why they wouldn't go out and barricade themselves in their home together.

Although Josh and Maya were both pleasurably content in that area of their marriage, most of their nights at home often ended up in them falling asleep in each other's arms after talking into the late hours of the night. Both waking up and feeling more refreshed and closer to each other.

But this, this was not a talking night. Nor was this a pleasurable-sex filled type of night. Although it was certain that things would most likely lead to that. This was a 'just be together' type of night. No talking, no sex, just holding one another and feeling the security that they were there with each other.

These were the type of nights that Maya longed for growing up. Not caring at the time who it was with, just to know and feel that she was loved. She nuzzled her head further into Josh and kissed his neck.

"I love you." She said quietly, as lightning filled the room and she closed her eyes and subconsciously held on to Josh tighter. Josh slowly brought his hand up higher under her shirt as a way of comfort.

"I love you, too." He responded as he leaned down and kissed the side of her head before taking his other hand and grabbing on to hers to lace their fingers together. They both laid their in silence, watching as the fire roared on.

These were the moments that were priceless.
________________________________
Love you all. ❤️