Slow dancing

Patience had never been one of Maya Hunter's strong suits. Not when she was a kid, and certainly not as a teenager. She had always had the mindset that it was no use in learning new things that didn't seem necessary. Especially things that were just going to make her look like an idiot in front of other people.

Things seemed to come naturally to her best friend, Riley. Who loved to learn new things and saw it as a challenge. A milestone to be reached. She never gave up until she achieved it. It was a train that Maya admired about her. But it was also something she could never quite understand her best friend on either.

Slow dancing, or really dancing in general, was one of those things that seemed useless to learn. She never had a father to teach her, and regular slow dancing was basically just swaying on your feet. No moment required. So what was the big deal about it anyway?

Up until she was well in her teens, Riley always gushed about father daughter dances that the school would do every year. Her and Cory loved slow dancing and spinning around the entire room. Maya would always excuse herself from those dances.

School dances were never her forte either. If there was a slow dance, Farkle would lead her crazily all over the dance floor and, in the last few years, her and Zay would spend their time laughing and joking rather than actually dancing.

She was never into any of the guys at her school, so she never said yes if one asked her. She didn't have to worry about that with Farkle and Zay. And the only guy she ever had been interested in was not interested in her. So it didn't matter anyway.

But now she has Shawn in her life. The man who adopted her and proved to be more of a father to her than her own. She had been Maya Hunter for close to three years now. And in her senior year of high school for the first time she found herself excited about the father daughter dance that was coming up.

Riley went around talking about it like she was dreading it. She didn't want to be spinning around in her father's arms like she used to do when she was a kid. But Maya did want that. She wanted Shawn to spin her around and lead her on the dance floor as if she was a kid. Because kid Maya never got that. It would have filled her twelve year old self with such delight to have had Shawn rather than feel jealous of Riley that she had Cory.

It was the first school dance that she had ever been excited about. The first man she was ever eager to say yes to when being asked to go. The first time she ever enjoyed and got nervous about picking out a dress. The first time she ever worried herself to the point of where she tried to teach herself something new, something not so useless anymore.

"Damn it." She cursed quietly to herself as she missed a step and tripped over her own foot. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before straightening up, positioning her hands on her imaginary partner, and trying the step again.

Her phone was propped up on the tv stand in her living room as music played softly from the stereo in the corner. The lady on the screen was doing the steps slowly to Maya could follow along. She had been doing this for about half an hour, trying to learn the basic steps of a simple waltz.

Shawn was so excited to dance with her, she wanted to make sure it was perfect. She didn't want to embarrass them both if she stepped all over his feet and caused them both to fall to the ground in front of everyone.

She stepped back, to the side, stepped forward, and her foot caught the corner of the rug and she couldn't stop herself from face planting the floor as she went down. She groaned and picked herself up into a sitting position on the ground.

"Graceful." A slight teasing drawl came from behind her. The turned around to see Josh smirking at her from his place by the door. Maya's mood darkened. Even in the protective confinement of her own home she wasn't safe. She leaned over and grabbed the remote off the coffee table and paused the music coming from the stereo.