Dating Announcement

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading and commenting! I Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter! Enjoy!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya shoved her hands in her pockets as she followed Riley and their friends down the subway platform and on to the streets of New York. They were on their way to a dinner that the Matthews were throwing. Maya could hardly keep the smile off her face, because this dinner was going to be different than the rest.

Riley, Maya and their friends had just finished their freshman year of college, Josh graduated and moved into an apartment close to the Matthews, and they were throwing a big dinner to celebrate. But that wasn't why Maya had a smile on her face.

Her and Josh had just made things official between them a week ago. Right before Josh's graduation he had confessed to her that he was tired of playing this back and forth game between the two of them. That they were going to talk things out and figure out what was best for their relationship right there, right now.

Causing them both to take the next step of their relationship right before Josh walked across the stage to accept his diploma. With all the excitement of the ceremony and Josh announcing his plans for after college, they never got to tell everyone about their new relationship.

After talking about it later that night, they decided the best way to do it was when everyone was together so they could break the news all at once. Not wanting to be the center of attention for too long and just going ahead and getting it over with. Being the center of attention was never Josh and Maya's way of things.

So tonight was going to be their big announcement. They were going to wait until their family and friends were all together and then they would drop the bomb. Maya bit the inside of her jaw, trying to keep her friends from noticing the smile that seemed to be permanently edged on her face.

As they walked into Riley's childhood home, everyone seemed to be there already, waiting for them to get there before starting everything. Josh was over in the corner sitting beside Shawn, talking to him. Maya blushed as he looked over and winked at her in greeting. She smiled as she shrugged off her jacket and put it up on the coat rack.

Dinner was served and everyone joined in telling their favorite stories about Josh, who was trying desperately to get them to stop as his parents went into telling everyone about when he was younger. Maya laughed and smiled through all of the stories as Josh buried his face in his hands in embarrassment and gave her a look.

Next came the gift portion of the night, which Josh hated because his family and friends already had given him gifts just a week ago for graduating. But these gifts were different, they were house warming presents. Things that everyone was giving him for his new home. Coffee maker, pots and pans, a plant... Seriously... a plant.

Maya grew more and more nervous as the night went on. Everyone was becoming restless and you could tell that soon everyone was going to call it a night. Maya looked over at Josh and he gave her a look, telling her that it was almost time to tell them.

Getting up from her spot at the kitchen table, ignoring Riley's curious look as she walked over to where Josh was standing in the corner of the living room. He smiled at her and reached out his hand for her to take.

"You okay?" He asked her. "I could see you jittering your hands from over here." He told her. Maya smiled and nodded at him.

"I'm just worried about how your parents are going to react." She told him honestly. Josh gave her a weird look as he tilted his head at her.

"Maya, they love you. They've always bragged on how glad they were that you're Riley's best friend and Shawn's step daughter." He told her.

"Yeah, but they dont know that I'm their baby boys girlfriend." She told him. Josh cringed at the nickname that his mother had been calling him all night that his girlfriend was now repeating. He gave her a warning look, causing her to slightly smirk.

"They'll love you, Maya. Besides, its not their decision, its mine. And I've waited long enough to just let you slip through my fingers again." He told her truthfully. Maya smiled at him. He gripped her hand tight and gave her a reassuring smile. "You ready?" He asked. Maya nodded.

Josh started walking over to where his family and their friends were all gathered together. Gripping Maya's hand the entire time, not letting go. She tried to pull her hand away from his as she noticed all the curious gazes on their hands. But Josh wouldn't let her go, he instead just kept holding on tighter and pulled her into his side.

"We wanted to wait until the perfect time to tell everyone. We were going to at my graduation but I think things just kind of happened and we never got to." Josh told them. All the knowing smiles that were pointed back at them told them both that they didn't have to say anything else, but it was good to go ahead and confirm.

"We're dating." Maya whispered in a shy tone of voice. Everyone was soon on their feet and congratulating the couple as Riley tackled Maya into a hug.

"I'm so happy for you! But I'm not calling you Aunt Maya." Riley told her. Maya gave her a mock look.

"Well of course you are. I already changed your contact in my phone. From now on when people ask I will introduce you as my niece." Riley playfully shoved Maya off of her as Maya had wrapped an arm around Riley's shoulders in a teasing manner. Maya laughed before she felt another pair of hands come to rest on her shoulders.

"We couldn't of thought of a better person for our son to be seeing." Amy told her as Maya turned around to face her and Alan.

"We were always kind of cheering for you, Maya. We know a good girl for our boys when we see her. We knew it with Topanga, and we know it with you." Alan told her. Maya smiled as they both brought her into a hug. Josh pulled her back into him and smiled.

"See, you were worried for nothing." He told her. "I'm pretty sure my family love you more than they love me." He told her causing her to grin and shake her head.

"Nah, we're at least tied." She joked. He smiled and leaned his head down to kiss her, ignoring the mixed "awes" and "eww's" coming from both sides of the room.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys enjoyed. Until next time!