Happy

Maya walked through her apartment door with a sigh of relief. Her feet were killing her, her head throbbing from the loud music, her eyes drooping from being up so long. She was sure she looked like a mess compared to what she had looked like when she had first put on this outfit.

She closed the door behind her, locking it into place before turning on the light and throwing her purse across the room onto the couch. She didn't even notice the figure that was laying down, letting out a small 'oof' as the purse hit them in the face. Maya jumped as the figure sat up on the couch, the purse falling onto the floor.

Maya stared for a moment. When she woke up this morning, she didn't think she would come home later to Joshua Matthews asleep on her couch. He stared at the purse on the ground for a moment before looking up at her. He pupils were dilated, and his hair a mess. His clothes crooked and his jacket hung off of one shoulder. He looked like he had been through a meat grinder.

"Josh, what the hell." Not that she wasn't happy to see him, but it was very unexpected. She hadn't spoken to him in a few months. The last she heard he was vacationing in California with a few friends to celebrate a big case that he had won.

"You look like you've had an eventful night," He said as his eyes raked her up and down. Her dress was more on the fancy side. A little black number that hugged her curves and showed off her legs and some cleavage. It had small straps hanging on her shoulders, which had been a good idea for the warm humid weather in the City that night. But now she was regretting it as the look he was giving her was causing goosebumps to rise up her arms.

"Somehow I feel as if your night was more interesting." She walked across the room and headed for the kitchen, bending down to pick up her purse on her way. He didn't say anything as she pulled out two cups from the cabinet above and walked toward the fridge. "How did you get into my apartment?" She asked.

"Riley gave me the code to get in." He said, "I fell asleep waiting for you." Maya pored juice into both of the cups before putting it back into the fridge and closing the door behind her. She turned to face him, confusion in her expression.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. His eyes followed her as she picked the cups up and brought them into the kitchen, her heels clinking against the floor as she walked. Josh took one of the cups from her and set it down on the coffee table as she sat on the other side of the couch facing him.

"I was hoping we could talk." He told her. She looked over his attire and bit her lip. Josh was always so well put together, it was amusing to see him look so... disgruntled. "Sorry for just showing up like this, I tried calling but your phone kept going to voicemail."

"Oh," Maya looked back over at the purse that she left on the kitchen counter and then turned back with a grimace. "I turned my phone off earlier this evening, I forgot to turn it back on and check it." He gave her a half smile.

"Riley told me about your award. That's pretty incredible, Maya." Her cheeks flushed as she pursed her lips together. It had been something that she had been excited over for weeks. One of her paintings that had been shown in an exhibit earlier that week had been voted a favorite among the public. There was an award ceremony happening that night and Maya had to be there to accept the award.

"Thanks," She smiled. "It was a pretty incredible experience." And it had been. Farkle accompanied her. And thankfully because he came from such a rich family, he had been able to fit in well at the ceremony, coaching Maya through it as she felt her lack of experience caused her to be so uncomfortable.

"You look Gorgeous." He said, his tone in a whisper. She felt the butterflies in her stomach come to life as she tightened her hands into fists to try and compose herself.