Party Exhaustion

Maya leaned down in the sink and splashed her face with cold water. She breathed deeply in through her nose and out through her mouth as she repeated this process a couple of times before turning the tap off and grabbing a hand towel to dry her face.

She was going on thirty-six hours of no sleep as well as her sixth cup of coffee of the day. It was now around six in the evening and she had just gotten done taking her final exam of the year that afternoon. College was no joke.

She envied her friends who seemed to be natural's at test taking and studying. Farkle and Smackle were legit genius's, Riley and Lucas enjoyed school and creating healthy study habits, Zay was the only one who was like her. They both had to work harder than anyone to make sure their grades kept up. The only difference is Zay was a 'go-with-the-flow type of guy. He studied, he took the test, and if he passed great. If he didn't it was an 'oh well I tried' type of situation.

Maya was the opposite. She was like that in high school. She wished she could go back to that. Back to not caring whether or not she got good grades. But college wasn't high school. And she couldn't afford to go back to that attitude.

So here she was, trying to stay awake through her friend's party because it was the first one Riley had ever hosted and she wanted the comfort of her best friend by her side. All Maya wanted to do was go back to their dorm room and crash, but this was Riley they were talking about. And she would do anything for Riley.

So instead of tucking her tail and making a run for it to her wonderful, fluffy bed. She sucked it up and walked out the bathroom door and back into the party. They were having it off campus in someone's house. Maya wasn't sure who. Lucas had become friends with him instantly in the first few months of them being here and he agreed to let Riley host the party at his place.

It was a nice house. But she was sure with the amount of rowdy people here tonight it wouldn't be for much longer. Maya yawned as she made her way around the corner and back to where Riley had been standing before she excused herself. Her best friend was all smiles as she clung to Lucas's side, or rather Lucas clung to hers. She wasn't sure which one it was at this point.

"Nice party." A voice commented beside her. Maya looked up and her brows rose at the person staring down at her.

"You can thank your niece for it. She was the one that planned the whole thing." Maya said. Joshua Matthews gave her one of his award-winning smiles that she had fallen so hard for as he stuck his hands in his pockets and leaned against the doorframe that led into the living room.

"That's what I heard." He stated.

"I thought you weren't much of a party person anymore." Maya teased him. He had been telling her all through out her freshman year here at NYU that he didn't like to go to college parties anymore.

"I'm not. But when I stopped by your dorm room nobody was there. That's when I heard from someone in your hall what was going on. Figured I'd catch you here." Maya couldn't help but stare at him. She had seen a lot of good looking people, but Joshua Matthews really was a sight to take in.

He looked good in his button-down shirt with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Messy hair as always. He had those lazy blue eyes that she could get lost in forever. She on the other hand looked horrid. Going on thirty-six hours of no sleep seemed to make you not care about how your appearance looked.

Maya threw on an old t-shirt with a pair of ripped jeans and her favorite sneakers. She threw her hair up in a messy bun and was currently sporting no makeup. She wondered if she looked as worn down as she felt.

"Well, you found me. What can I do for you?" She asked as she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the other side of the door frame opposite of him.