Inevitable

"I think, that you and I were inevitable."

"What?" Maya laughed as she looked over at her boyfriend of two years. They were sitting in her dorm room, him laying on the bed while she sat at her desk chair, her math textbook opened in front of her.

"I think that in any universe, in any timeline, you and I would have made our way to each other eventually." Josh told her softly as he stared at her from where he was propped up against her headboard.

Maya grinned at him. "And what brought you to this conclusion?" She asked, almost in a tease.

"I've been thinking a lot about it. In a world where there was no Maya and Riley, would there have ever been a Josh and Maya?" He had a small smirk on his face, Maya continued to grin at him as she used her feet to push her self back and forth and in the swerving chair.

"That's quite the thought to have." She said. He shrugged his shoulders. "Didn't anyone ever tell you that the what if questions will break you?"

"I feel that I have been both incredibly lucky and incredibly stupid." He told her. Maya, who was finishing up her junior year of college, kept her eyes narrowed in a playful stare down with her boyfriend. Who was now graduated and had his own place only about ten minutes off of campus.

"I don't follow." Maya told him. Josh sighed in contentment as he let his head fall back against the head board.

"It's almost like an alternate reality. What if you and Riley never met, what if your dad never left? What if I never grew up hearing my niece talk excitedly about the famous Maya Hart that seemed to be the center of her whole world."

"There goes those what if questions again." Maya said. Josh closed his eyes for a moment before opening them and turning his attention to her.

"Then there's the other side of the coin. What if I kept pushing you away? What if I one day pushed you into someone else's arms? There was a moment that I was scared I had done that, you know. With Lucas." Maya stopped swerving her chair and just stared at him. "For a while, I thought that maybe I had rejected you one too many times."

"Josh," she quietly chuckled. "Whenever I saw you enter a room, nobody else mattered. Even when I thought I was crushing on Lucas, anytime your name was brought up it was like for that moment he didn't even exist. Granted, it was during a time where I never thought you and I were ever going to become a thing. But, even when you were just a fantasy, you were everything."

She said it so quietly, her tone held so much emotion as she kept a small smile on her face. It was scary, but also elating to have someone love you so much. That much. It was riveting. It was explosive.

"I wish I had always been as sure as you." He whispered, his voice breaking at the end. "At first I thought that if I stayed away enough you would get over it. But then I would find myself thinking of you more. Wondering what you were doing, if you were doing it with Riley or someone else. Had you found someone else to crush on besides me, and if you had, were they good enough for you. Not that I ever thought myself to be good enough for you." She laughed.

"I think you're the only guy that I've ever considered myself to not be good enough for them." She teased. He shook his head at her.

"You just don't see it. How amazing you are." She flushed and looked away embarrassed. "I remember thinking that one day, that same sentence. And it was when I realized that maybe my feelings for you ran just a bit deeper than I cared to admit. When Riley told me that you and Lucas were giving things a go, I felt my stomach drop. It was like someone had thrown a ton of bricks into my stomach and knocked me down. It's when I realized, that there was a chance I could lose you."

"Granted, Lucas and I would have never made it as a couple anyway." He grinned.

"That was the only silver lining I had to hold onto. Until I figured out the truth." Maya snorted. "Thank you for not giving up on us." He said. "I wish I could have seen it sooner."

"Well, everyone makes mistakes." She winked. He continued to grin before getting out of her desk chair and walking toward her. She eyed him over her text book as he grabbed it out of her hands and closed it. He didn't break eye contact as he tossed it on the ground beside the bed.

She laughed as he suddenly jumped on top of her, being careful to land mostly beside her on the bed instead of crushing her with his weight. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her flush against him. She moved her hair out of her face before resting her hand on his shoulder, their legs tangling together. He stared at her intensely once they calmed down, his eyes feeling like they were staring straight into her soul.

"Marry me." He stated. Maya stared at him for a moment before chuckling.

"I'd love to, but I have finals." He tickled her for her joke and she laughed as they wrestled around for a moment before stopping with her on top of him.

"Not now. But, someday." She bit her lip as she grinned down at him. "Soon." He added. "You're it for me, Maya." She felt her heart flutter in her chest, tingles shooting up her spine.

"Someday." She agreed. "Soon." He chuckled before pulling her down and kissing her. He moved them to where he was on top of her, their legs tangling back together as her arms wrapped around his neck.

They stayed in that moment, her thoughts completely oblivious to the small box that was currently resting in his back pocket. Someday, he thought as he pulled her close. Soon.
________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry it's a little short. But It was meant to be cuteness overload. Thank you for reading!