The Best Worst Party Ever

"I JUST HAD A BRILLIANT IDEA!" Riley Matthews slammed the door open to her apartment, causing her whole family to jump and turn to where the overly energetic teenager was grinning from ear to ear.

"Hello to you as well, daughter. Now can you please not slam the door into the wall next time?" Topanga asked with a look on her face as she set a bowl of bread down on the table. Maya Hunter walked quickly behind her best friend and grabbed her arm.

"You must excuse her, she put way too much sugar in her coffee this morning." Maya started trying to drag her best friend out of the living room and down the hall towards her bedroom, but Riley pulled her arm out of her grip and trained her eyes on the person that she had wanted to see most.

"Uncle Josh." The expression on Riley's face turned into that of someone who wanted something and wasn't going to stop until she got it.

"Niece." Josh greeted.

"Run," Maya spoke from behind Riley, her eyes trained on Josh.

"Excuse me?" Josh asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"If you know what's good for you, you won't question me, you'll just do it." She rose her voice.

"Shut it, Maya. It's already too late and you know it." Riley gave her an evil grin. Maya made a noise in the back of her throat that sounded like a whine as she turned around to shut the front door.

"What is it that I'm supposed to be running from?" Josh asked as Riley came to stand beside him from where he was sitting on the bench of the table. Maya reluctantly walked further into the living room and placed her bag on the ground.

"We need your help." Riley started.

"No, we don't," Maya said as she came to stand beside Riley and shook her head at Josh.

"More specifically, Maya needs your help." Riley kept a grin on her face as she motioned to Maya.

"No. I. Don't." Maya told her best friend forcefully through gritted teeth.

"Would you stop being so difficult?" Riley asked.

"Would you stop being so persistent?" Maya countered.

"Girls," Cory interrupted them. "Today please, we all have lives to lead." Both Riley and Maya glared at him for a moment before they took a deep breath and turned back to Josh.

"We did something-"

"-you did something-"

"-and now we're in a situation-"

"-that you put us in-"

"-and we need your help-"

"-we really don't-"

"-Maya's is just too stubborn-"

"-Riley this isn't a good idea-"

"-to ask you for help-"

"-because I don't need it-"

"-so I'm asking for her-"

"-because you love to cause me stress-"

"-because I'm her best friend and that's my job-"

"-not for long, it won't be-"

Both girls glared at each other at the end of their joined explanation before looking back at the group that was surrounding the table. Topanga, Cory, and Auggie were both looking at them with their jaws slightly dropped while Josh stared back and forth between them.

Finally, after a moment of a stare-down, Maya closed her eyes and sighed. She opened them back and almost took a step back at Josh's intense gaze that met hers. She immediately started feeling all those familiar butterflies in her stomach that she got whenever she was around him and her knees went weak a little. But this wasn't the time to falter under his gaze, she reminded herself.