Chaperoning

Thanks for reading!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"We were just talking! We weren't doing anything!" The young boy exclaimed as Maya pulled him out of the woods with one hand, and the girl she found him with in the other hand. She pulled them toward the clearing where the bonfire was that everyone else was standing around.

"Yeah, yeah, I know what you were doing. I was fourteen once, too." Maya stated. Cory was waiting on them with a detention slip in his hand. "Anyone else missing?" Maya asked as Cory handed the kids the slips as they walked back over to the bonfire with the rest of their class.

"That should be all of them! Except now I can't find Riley or Lucas." He frowned. Maya grinned.

"You mean the two college students who have been dating for several years snuck off in the middle of their chaperoning duties to go deep into the woods? One of which grew up as a Texas Cowboy who knows how to survive days without anyone coming to find them?" Cory's eyes got bigger and bigger as she spoke sarcastically. "What are they doing, I wonder." She teased.

"Go find them!" Cory shouted. Maya rolled her eyes.

"My job is to chaperone the kids, Matthew's. Not the other chaperones." Maya told him as she crossed her arms. "It's not my fault you can't control your volunteers." Cory gave her a dark look. "Besides, she's with Lucas. What harm could come to her when she's with Lucas?"

"She's alone with Lucas!" Cory shouted. "He's the one I'm worried about!" Maya grinned at him.

"It's Lucas. He would never do anything to Riley that she didn't want." This didn't improve Cory's mood.

"I know!" He snapped. "Go find her!"

"Matthew's, I grew up in the city. What do I know about the woods?" She raised an eyebrow at him. He pursed his lips together.

"Josh!" He shouted, and Maya's eyes narrowed as she gave him a glare.

"You wouldn't." She growled. Cory kept his glare as he turned back toward her.

"You brought this on yourself!" He whisper shouted. He turned back around and faced his younger brother who gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Go with, Maya. Find my child." He demanded.

"Auggie's over by the fire." Josh stated as he motioned his head behind him.

"My other child." Cory deadpanned. Josh opened his mouth to speak but Cory cut him off. "And before either of you try to get out of it, yes, you're going together. Josh knows his way around the woods, and Maya knows Riley and Lucas. Work together, and make sure my baby is not defiled." Maya didn't think it would be helpful to tell him that it was far too late for that.

As Cory walked off, Maya plotted ways she could lure him into the woods and leave him there, while Josh shoved his hands into his pockets awkwardly. The silence was almost deafening.

"Is Riley and Lucas really the type of couple to go off sneaking into the woods to make out?" Josh asked in amusement, but his body was tensed as he looked over her shoulder instead of directly at her.

"They better not be." She grumbled. That would be more their thing. And she knew Josh was thinking the same thing. "We better get going before your brother has an aneurysm." She didn't glance at him as she shoved her hands into her hoodie pockets to keep Josh from seeing them shaking and started walking out of the clearing and toward the woods.

"They could be in one of the tents." Josh suggested. "No reason to go out so far looking if they're still back at the camp site." He said from behind her.