Storms

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys enjoy!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thunder clapped loudly outside as lightning flashed and lit up the room from outside the window. The rain clattered on the window making it almost impossible to hear your own thoughts. A little girl curled up under her covers tried hard to keep the noise from bothering her. But it was just way too loud.

Letting out a small scream as thunder and lighting flashed again, the little girl sat up from her bed and wiped the tears that were streaming from her face as she tried hard to move her blond hair from her face that were trying to stick to her cheeks.

"Daddy!" She yelled out. Pulling the covers tighter over her as she grabbed onto her stuffed lamb that was beside her, holding it tightly to her. "Daddy!" She yelled again.

Her bedroom door was opened and the light was turned on. "Addalyn, it's almost midnight, baby. What's wrong?" Josh asked as he came into the doorway, looking over the room for any type of threat.

Addy jumped out of her bed and ran over to her father with her arms stretched in the air. Josh immediately caught her and picked her up. She wrapped her arms and legs around him as if she was a koala and held on right. Josh soothed her as he rubbed her back.

"M-make it s-stop." She sobbed into his shirt as the thunder and lightning flashed again. Josh continued to rub her back as she cried more into his shirt. "It's s-so loud!"

"It's okay." Josh soothed. "It can't hurt you. You're inside and the storm is outside. Daddy and mommy wouldn't let it get you." He told her. Addy continued to sob into his shoulder.

"I want it to stop!" She shouted. "I don't like it." Josh rubbed her back some more and looked out her window. He sighed. She did have the biggest window in the apartment, and that meant she had the best view of the storm outside, which probably wasn't a good thing.

"Come on, we'll make you some hot chocolate." Josh told her. Addy's grip on him tightened. He shut her door and walked them into the living room where Maya was standing over the stove in the kitchen.

"Hey sunshine." Maya smiled at her daughter. Addy rose up from Josh's shoulder and wiped her eyes again. "Come sit." She told her daughter. Josh put her down and Addy walked up to the table and sat down.

"I don't like the storm." Addy told her. Maya placed a cup of hot chocolate in front of her. Both her and Josh sat down. Josh beside her, Maya opposite of her.

"I'm sorry, if I could I would make it stop." Maya told her. Addy nodded. "I think I know what will make you feel better, though. How about we pop some popcorn and watch a movie." Addy smiled.

"You mean I get to stay up late?" She asked.

"Well there isn't any school tomorrow, so I don't see why not." Josh replied. Addy smiled as she suddenly got up from the table and ran to jump on the couch.

Josh smiled as Maya grabbed her and Addy's cup of hot chocolate and made her way over towards the couch. She placed Addy's cup down in front of her and sat down beside her, putting an arm around her daughter as she whimpered a little at the thunder outside.

Josh started gathering his paperwork that he had spread out on the table of the case that he was working on at the moment. He pursed his lips together as he took one last look of the picture of the little girl that had been murdered earlier that week. He had been put in charge of the case. He frowned as he thought about what he would have done if it was Addy that had been killed.

Shaking his head out of those thoughts, he put the paperwork away for now and focused on spending the night with his girls. As soon as his bag was closed shut, he grabbed his cup of hot chocolate and made his way over towards the couch to sit on the other side of Addy.

The storm raged on outside, but two hours and a movie later had Addy fast asleep in Josh's arms, oblivious to the world around her.

"I don't think we should put her back in her room for the night, it seems far worse from her window." Josh whispered.

"She can sleep with us tonight." Maya told him. Josh silently picked her up and moved away from the couch. He walked down the hallway and into his and Maya's room to put Addy down under the covers.

Maya frowned as she thought back to when she was a little girl, and how she used to be the same way Addy was when it came to storms. She remembered the way she used to call out her dads name only for nobody to come through her door because her parents were too busy screaming at each other in the next room.

She remembered how she used to curl up on her own in her bed and try to forget about all the things that she would hear outside her window. How she would sometimes hide under her bed and cry herself to sleep wishing that at any moment her father would come through that door and hold her like she wanted him to.

Maya loved her mom, and she was grateful to have a mother who would do anything for her, and that included being woke up in the middle of the night to come and spend hours with her just to calm her down, knowing that sometimes as soon as Maya was back asleep, she would have to immediately start getting ready for work.

Josh broke Maya out of her thoughts as he sat down beside her on the couch. Maya looked up and smiled as he moved his arm to around her shoulders.

"She's fast asleep. I went and grabbed Guppy for her so she could cuddle with him." Guppy was the name of her stuffed lamb. Maya smiled as she moved forward so she could put her empty mug down on the coffee table. "How are you doing?" Josh asked, knowing that Maya still wasn't a fan or thunderstorms.

"I'll be okay." Maya told him. "I'm thankful that you're here." She said honestly. Maya didn't seem to want to go into details, and Josh didn't ask.

Josh smiled at her as she leaned forward again and kissed him silently. After a few moments, they both decided that they wanted to be there just in case Addy woke up again from the storm. Making their way back to the bedroom, Maya said stopped for a few moments.

"You go on ahead, I'll be there in a second." She told him. Josh stared at her for a moment before nodding his head and leaning in to give her one more kiss before making his way to their room.

Maya grabbed her cellphone and sat back down on the couch. She dialed the familiar number that she knew so well and smiled at the other voice On the line.

"Hey mom. Yeah I'm good. No everything's fine, I know it's late. I just- I wanted to hear your voice."

Maya smiled as she listened to her mom speak, unaware of her husbands smiling face from behind her.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!