Christmas Day

Merry Christmas everyone! Here is a short little something for you guys.

________________________________________________________________________________

The sun had not risen completely yet when small pairs of feet could be heard running down the hall, getting closer and closer by the second. A small groan came from one side of the bed, as the other side shifted slightly. "They're coming." Maya giggled as she faced her husband in their.

"As they grow, so does their excitement for Christmas." She said as she sat up and let her eyes adjust to the darkness of the room around them. A hand reached out and found hers.

"We should really start experimenting with Benadryl." He said dryly before their door was opened and the light was turned on, blinding them momentarily.

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" A small, shrilled voice called as they felt the bed shake with the sudden appearance of another body on top.

"IT'S CWISTMAS!" Another, younger, voice called out.

"Shh," Josh whispered as he sat up in bed and caught one of their bed intruders in his arms. "You'll wake your-" Suddenly a loud cry vibrated through the walls, causing Josh to groan. "Sister," He finished, cutting Maya a look.

"Now everyone's up! We can go open presents!" The oldest of their children said as she wrapped her arms around Josh's neck.

"And then Gwandpa and Gwandma!" Their son said as he fell into Maya's arms. Indeed, it was going to be a busy day. After they finished with their morning routine, they were packing the kids up and heading to Philadelphia for the rest of the weekend where they would spend Christmas with the whole family. The kids had only been talking about it for weeks.

"Alright, Mommy and Addie will get the baby, Daddy and Logan can get started on breakfast." Maya said. "Everyone can meet back up in the kitchen in ten minutes."

"Ready." Addie started.

"Set." Logan continued, giggling as Maya bounced him lightly.

"Break!" Josh finished, and the kids started laughing as they both got down from the bed and started running out of the room and back down the hall. Josh and Maya turned to look at each other for a moment, leaning in and sharing a kiss before pulling back.

"I love you," Maya said.

"I love me, too." Josh replied. "Maya grabbed a pillow and hit him with hit. Josh grabbed her arm and pulled her back down, leaning over her and kissing her hard.

"Mommy!" Addie yelled. "Emma is stinky!"

"Daddy!" Came Logan's voice. "Pancakes!"

"I'm telling you," Josh said as he pulled back. "Benadryl." Maya pushed him off of her with a small giggle before getting up and grabbing her dressing robe. She pulled it on as she walked out of the room and made it toward the nursery.

Ten minutes later, Maya and Addie were walking down the stairs with Emma in Maya's arms as Josh had Logan sitting on top of the counter helping him pour pancake mix onto a pan. Maya set Emma in her high-chair, and tasked Addie with setting the table. A few minutes later, they were all working around the kitchen together, playing Christmas music and dancing horribly while Emma sat in her highchair and drank her bottle, watching them.

When breakfast was finished, they all sat around the table, Maya helping Logan with his plate, and talked excitedly about their plans for the day. Having a five-year-old, a three-year-old, and a six-month-old had definitely improved Maya's love for coffee over the years.

After breakfast was over and everything was cleaned up, the kids both immediately ran to the living room and sat around the tree. They excitedly rushed their parents as Maya and Josh tag teamed cleaning up a fussy Emma and setting her in her playpen for the time being. Maya settled on the couch while Josh lowered his voice in his best impression of Santa as he started handing out gifts. It was a silly thing that he started when Addie was just old enough to start understanding what Christmas was. The kids loved it, and it was often referred to as their favorite part of opening gifts.

The gift opening went by quickly, Maya joined in on the excitement from her place on the couch as the kids talked and yelled excitedly at every gift they opened. She and Josh made a big deal over the gifts that their kids had bought them, even though they already knew what it would be because they were both horrible at keeping secrets. They even got Emma out of the playpen to help open a few as she was more interested in the box then what was in them. She laughed as Josh would hit on her while he was still in his Santa Clause impression and then pull a mistletoe from behind his back and kiss her while the kids groaned in disgust.

Once all the presents were opened and Josh took a few minutes to pretend to wrap them in all the scattered wrapping paper, they all sat down on the couch together. Logan in Maya's lap, Addie in Josh's. Emma was back in her playpen chewing on one of her chewies.

"We want to talk to you guys for a moment before we start cleaning up and getting ready to leave." Josh told them.

"We're really happy that you both love all your gifts," Maya started. "But remember what we talked about a few days ago, about how Christmas isn't about getting gifts or even about having chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast."

"It's about family. And spending time with those we love and celebrating something special." Josh said. "We do these things because they're fun things to do and we're fortunate enough to be able to."

"But not a lot of families are as fortunate as we are. A lot of families aren't able to have chocolate chip pancakes, and dozens of new toys and clothes to unwrap on Christmas morning." Maya brushed Addie's hair out of her face. "That's why it's important that we can give back in any way we can."

"So, when we get to Grandma and Grandpa's today, we're all going to go somewhere before we have our party. And we're going to try and help some of those families so that they can hopefully have a good Christmas." Josh said. "So, it's important that you guys remember this, okay?" They both nodded their heads. "Go get ready." He told them, and they both started up toward their rooms.

"Do you think they're too young?" Josh asked after a moment of silence.

"They might not understand completely now, but I think this is a good tradition to start them on." Maya answered. "I would rather have them growing up having this knowledge now, then for it to hit them in the face once their older."

"Me, too." He said. "And you're the perfect person to teach them that." She smiled at him as he leaned in closer.

"We're both perfect to teach them that." Maya replied. Because even though she knew what it was like to grow up as the less fortunate, Josh understood what it was like to give back. If it hadn't been for the Matthews family, she never would have had any good Christmas's. And if it weren't for each other, in a way, neither of them would have learned the value of this lesson.

"So, when do I get my gift?" He asked with a slight smirk. Maya grinned as she leaned forward and rested her forehead against his.

"Your gift is... special wrapped." He pecked her lips lightly.

"Give me a hint," He practically whined.

"It's red and very short. Some might even say, transparent." She teased him, he put his hand through the gap of her robe and placed his hand up her shirt onto her bare stomach.

"Mommy! I can't find my Christmas dress!" Addie called from up the stairs.

"Benadryl." Josh said again. "I'm not opening that gift until we have a weekly supply of Benadryl."

"Daddy! Hewp!" Cried Logan just as Emma started crying.

"And Condoms." He got up off the couch and grabbed Emma from her playpen, Maya laughed as he called back "Lots of condoms!" Before he started up the stairs.
________________________________________________________________________________

I know it's short, but it was kind of a last-minute thing. Hope you guys enjoyed! Merry Christmas!