Hospital Calls

Maya felt like she was soaring. She was having the best week. She got to start the week off by a teacher work day on Monday. She got to spend the whole day with Shawn up in Manhattan taking pictures and helping and being able to draw some of the prettier sites in New York.

Then she got straight A's on all three tests she had for that week and a recommendation letter from her art teacher to NYU's art program. To top it off, Shawn and Katy were going out for the weekend, which meant she would have her apartment all to herself. Of course she would be spending time with Riley, but it was rare when she got to spend time in her apartment alone ever since Shawn and Katy got married. She was looking forward to having some time to herself.

The only thing that could make this week any better was if Joshua Matthews had decided to come visit so she could see him. He was currently studying over at NYU, but if he didnt come over to his brothers house then Maya didnt get to see him.

Maya had just gotten home from afterschool program with her art teacher. She had stayed later that Friday so she could work on a project that would be for the senior year book. She had just placed all her stuff on her bed and pulled out her sketch pad when she felt her back pocket vibrating.

She picked her phone out of her pocket and checked the id. With a smile on her face, she pressed answer and put the phone to her ear as she zipped up her backpack.

"Whats up, Riles?" She asked.

"Maya, where are you?" Riley asked, her voice a bit frantic. Maya's eyes narrowed.

"I just got home. Why?" She asked. Riley took a shaky breath.

"Maya listen to me. You need to meet us at the hospital. Uncle Josh has been involved in an accident." Maya felt her heart stop as she swallowed hard and took a seat on her bed.

"W-what kind of accident?" She asked running a hand through her hair. Her sketchpad laying forgotten on her bed.

"I'm not sure. Dad was his emergency contact. They called him to let him know that he had to be rushed by ambulance. They're taking him into surgery. He was in and out of consciousness but the paramedic said he was asking for you."

"F-for me?" Maya still was trying to wrap her head around everything.

"Yes. The paramedic said he was very confused when they got on the scene. He thought you were in the car with him, he kept asking them if you were alright, he was fighting them trying to get to the passenger side calling your name. That was before he passed out."

Maya's head was wheeling with all this information. Why would Josh think she was in the car with him? She couldn't help it as her heart fluttered at the thought that he thought she was with him and still in danger. But she quickly pushed that thought out of her mind as she thought about Josh. His safety comes first. Oh please God, let him be okay.

"I'm on my way." Maya told her right before hanging up. She grabbed her keys and placed her phone back into her pocket before leaving her room and out of the apartment.

It took Maya about twenty minutes to get to the waiting room. The receptionist had told her it was the third floor and that the family was already there waiting for her. Maya had been tapping her fingers in the elevator as she shook her leg. She kept praying and asking God that Josh would be okay in her head.

As soon as she opened the door, Riley had practically tackled her into a hug. Followed soon after by Tompanga and Cory. Auggie was hanging with Dewy for the afternoon until they could figure out what was going on with Josh.

"He's in surgery now. The police said he was hit from the passenger side by a driver who was texting while driving. Thankfully since it was the passenger side, he's going to be okay. The doctors said if he was hit from the drivers side then he would be dead on impact. He's very lucky to be alive. They had to go in and try and stop the bleeding though. But he should be fine, just a long recovery process." Topanga explained as she could tell that Maya's nerves were on edge.