Insomnia

"You look like death."

Joshua Matthews snapped his head up to see the blond that had occupied his thoughts over the last few months. He gave her a sarcastic smile as she set a hot chocolate down in front of him beside the other three coffee mugs that he already downed earlier. 

"On the house." She told him when he went to protest. Josh slowly closed his mouth as he looked her up and down, she looked cute in her little waist apron and name tag. "What are you doing here so late?" She asked. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"Andrew is entertaining at the moment." Maya snorted. "I can't go back to my dorm room for a while."  He looked back at her apron and name tag. "Since when do you work?" He asked as he brought the coffee up to his lips gratefully.

"Since I need money for college." Maya told him as she slipped into the both across from him. She gave him a once over. "Having trouble sleeping?" She asked. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"Something like that." He told her. Maya raised an eyebrow as he rubbed his eyes with his hand.

He had dark circles and lines on his face. His hair was even more messy than usual and his eyes were red-rimmed. He almost looked like he was sick.

"College that brutal, huh?" Maya asked as she felt slight panic rise in her chest. She wanted to keep the conversation light, but she also felt as if it would be nice to know if college was going to be like this for her.

"Nah, at least not this bad." He told her. He noticed how panicked her eyes looked, even though she tried to hide it. He gave her a smile. "Don't worry, gorgeous, you'll have plenty of sleepless nights of studying of your own."

"Can't wait." She joked with him. "Is something wrong?" She asked him more seriously. Josh sighed as he suddenly picked at the lid of his hot chocolate.

"Just having a lot of trouble sleeping at night." He told her. When he didn't elaborate after a moment, Maya spoke.

"Too many late night parties." She suggested. Josh snorted.

"You know me, Just your average party animal." He said dryly. Maya stared at him for a moment, and suddenly she felt stupid. He obviously didn't want to talk about it, and it wasn't her business to pry.

"Well, let me know if you need a refill on that drink." She winked at him before sliding out of the booth and back over towards behind the counter.

Josh smiled at her as she left. He sighed again and rested his head in his hands for a moment. He would love nothing more than to go to sleep. But he couldn't. Every time he tried he would find his mind too busy to shut up.

He had too much on his mind. Too much to comprehend. Nobody should be this stressed and exhausted at only twenty one.

Josh looked back up and over at Maya. She was smiling and laughing at something one of her customers had said as she took their payment at the cash register.

Josh didn't like talking about his problems. Not to anyone, really. He was a very private person. He didn't like it when someone else tried to pry into his personal life. There were only a handful of people that he would ever go to in his life if he just really needed advise of someone to talk to. But that was it. Most of the time he bottled everything up.

But lately. It's been different. He hasn't wanted to go to anyone else about his problems. He hadn't wanted to go to the same people that he would have gone to before. The only person that he seemed to want to share everything with was currently wiping down countertops.

Josh smiled. Who knows, maybe she could help.

He slid out of the booth and made his way over to where she was. He took the seat at the counter and rested his forearms on top of where she just wiped, causing her to give him a slight glare. But he couldn't really bring himself to care at the moment.