After the breakup

This one is going to be a little more emotional so dont kill me. Enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya's breath hitched as she heard Riley telling her who all was going to be at the Bar-B-Q that the Matthews was having that Saturday night.

"Maya, are you okay?" Riley asked as she looked at her best friend with concern. Maya put on a fake smile and nodded her head.

"Yeah, sounds great." She said as they kept walking towards the subway. Riley looked at Maya and then back to the ground.

"You dont have to come if you think you will feel uncomfortable." Riley told her. Maya shook her head.

"No way! I have never missed a Matthews Bar-B-Q since I've met you and I'm not going to start now, Boing will just have to deal with it." Maya told her. Riley smiled.

"I haven't heard you call him that in months." Riley answered honestly. Maya smiled.

"That's because I haven't really been on good terms with that nickname."

Josh and Maya were together for a year before they decided to call it quits. Josh had asked her out the night of her graduation and looking back on it now they both had agreed that it was a mistake, they should have waited longer before they started up a relationship. Maya entered NYU and her and Josh got to see each other all the time. Things were great, but then Josh graduated and things were not so great. They ended up fighting all the time and their jealousy for each other got the better of them and they both decided that they should just go ahead and call it quits. That was three months ago, and they haven't spoken to each other since.

"Do you feel like your finally starting to move on?" Riley asked. Maya took a deep breath.

"It's hard. Some nights I'm glad that he's gone, and then there are some nights where I wish he would just show up and hold me at night like he use to. But even when we were together, in the last couple of months we stopped doing stuff like that. It's like we were a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off, us breaking up was inevitable." Maya answered honestly. Riley's eyes widened.

"Does that mean you two will never get back together?" Riley asked as they entered the subway. Maya shrugged her shoulders.

"I dont know, Riley. I really dont." And with that the doors of the subway closed.

~

Later on that day the Matthews were all setting up for the Bar-B-Q, and of course Maya was there early. She was sitting at the table helping Auggie set the table.

"Uncle Josh is here." Riley whispered in Maya's ear. Maya nodded and took a deep breath before getting up and walking into the living room right before Josh made his entrance.

"Uncle Josh!" Auggie exclaimed as he ran to Josh like always. Josh smiled as he picked Auggie up like always and talked to him for a little bit. Maya took in his appearance, he looked good, great even.

Josh greeted his family while Maya just stayed in the corner of the living room playing it off as like she was waiting for Riley to get done. Josh looked over at Maya and smiled a little.

"Hey." He said. Maya smiled at him back.

"How's it going?" She asked. They both went in for a hug, the first one in months, the first one since the breakup. Maya's arms around his neck and his around her waist.

"Doing okay?" He asked in her ear so only she could hear. She nodded slightly.

"Better." She answered. Josh patted her back a little before they both leaned back and let go of each other.

"Good." He answered as he put his hands in his pockets and nodded at her. "I'm glad." Maya smiled before she everyone else interrupted by coming into the house and saying hey.

~

It was after dinner and the Matthews plus Shawn and Katy were all seated in the living room talking about their childhood and telling stories. Maya's eyes wandered around the room and caught a certain pair on hers. She smiled slightly at Josh as he smiled back and then looked back over at Shawn who was currently talking. Maya excused herself and told Riley she would be back later. Riley knew that it was because she couldn't stay any longer. No matter what Maya said, she wasn't over Josh.

Maya walked into Riley's bedroom not even bothering to close the door, she walked up to the window and started to crawl out.

"Ditching already, huh?" Maya sighed as she backed up back into Riley's room and looked over at the door.

"You know me, never really wanting to stay somewhere for too long." She joked. Josh chuckled as he made his way into Riley's room and sat down at the bay window beside Maya as she settled down onto it as well.

"If me being here is that uncomfortable, I can leave." Josh told her seriously. Maya smiled and shook her head.

"It's not you. I just wanted to go for a walk, clear my head." Maya answered. Josh nodded his head.

"Because of me." He confirmed. Maya didnt say anything as she looked straight ahead and not at Josh. "Maya, I'm sorry." Josh told her. Maya shook her head as she looked back over at Josh.

"Why are you sorry? Josh, I was the one that broke up with you. You tried to fix things but I refused. You dont have anything to be sorry for." Maya told him. Josh nodded his head.

"I'm sorry that things didnt work out between us, we both had our hearts set on each other, maybe too much. Looking back on things I can see how we rushed things. We should have waited." He said honestly. Maya nodded.

"I'm so glad that you understand that. Things were just getting too serious, you were talking about moving in together and getting married after college and I just panicked. No matter how much I want to think that I am, I guess I'm just not ready for that." Maya told him. Josh smiled slightly.

"Neither of us are. I'm not Cory, I need to stop thinking that I am." He said seriously.

"It doesnt mean that we wont ever get back together, I just think that for right now we need to stay friends." Maya told him.

"Meet new people."

"Explore new things."

"And when we're older if we feel ready to settle down."

"And we still like each other."

"We'll give it another shot." Josh finished smiling at her. Maya nodded.

"Exactly." She said. Then she held out her hand. "To someday, again." Josh chuckled before putting his hand in hers and shaking it.

"Someday, again." He joked back. Maya smirked.

"Just one more thing." She said before leaning in and kissing him. Josh gripped her hand tighter as he deepened it. "Okay, now I can move on." Maya laughed after pulling back. Josh laughed before they let go of each other's hands and walked back into the living room.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So not a completely sad ending. There will not be a second part. Thanks for reading!