Panic attacks

This might be triggering for some people. Talks about depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and panic attacks. Just a warning.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

It seemed as if everything around was closing in. The huge space that was the hallway in school now seemed to be getting smaller and smaller. The air around seemed to be getting thicker as it was harder to provide the lungs with the oxygen that they needed. It was almost as if something was lodged in the throat, and nails were scratching and clawing trying to get it out. Heart was racing miles and miles, pulse was thumping in agony. Suddenly it got very hot, and everything around seemed to be getting tighter and tighter. Couldn't control it, couldn't calm down. Hands flew to hair as nails dug deep into the scalp and grabbed fistfuls of hair, pulling, tugging, trying to regain some kind of composer.

"Maya. Maya, stay with me." A voice cried out. "Just stay with me, focus on my voice." Hands gripped wrists tightly to keep from doing any further damage.

Maya Hunter was almost oblivious to the world around her as her body shook with uncontrollable sobs, gasping for air as hard as she could. She closed her eyes tightly and banged her head against the lockers that she was currently sitting up against.

"It's okay, Maya. You're safe, it's okay." Arms grabbed a hold of her tightly as Maya was suddenly pulled away from the lockers and wrapped into thin, yet strong arms. Keeping her from banging her head, keeping her from clawing and hurting herself.

Maya's head fell back onto what seemed like someone's shoulder. A hand was in her hair, petting it down, and another one was rubbing soft small circles on her back. Then the voice was in her ear.

"It's okay, it's alright. You're safe, everything is going to be okay, just breathe. Focus on the sound of my voice. Breathe with me. In. Out. There you go, just a bit more. In. Out."

Maya found herself coming back into focus. Everything around her seemed to stop. She was able to finally tune everything out and focus on the voice that was speaking to her. She found herself following the breathing patterns of the person who was holding her. In. Out. In. Out.

She could feel herself calming down slightly. Her breathing was going back to normal, almost like the lump inside her throat was shrinking. The hallway seemed to be coming more into focus and seemed less and less cramped. Her heartbeat and pulse were calming down, and the temperature in the room seemed to come back down.

Only did Maya realize that her nails were digging into someone's arm. She was holding on tightly as if whoever was holding her was her lifeline. She could feel their warm breath on her ear and neck, she was suddenly very aware of their arms wrapped tightly around her and how they were positioned on the ground.

As soon as Maya seemed calm enough, her body was still shaking, but she knew she would be like that for a bit. Maya leaned her head away from the person's shoulder and looked up to see Farkle's concerned face staring back at her.

"Hey, you." He said softly.

Maya realized that she was sitting in between his legs with his whole body practically wrapped around hers to keep her settled. Trying to give her comfort as best he could while also keeping her from hurting herself too badly.

"H-hey." Maya breathed out. Her voice was shaky and hoarse. She squeezed her eyes shut and leaned her head back against Farkle as she realized what had just happened.

"It's okay, it's not your fault, don't blame yourself." Farkle soothed her as Maya continued to tremble in his arms. "Riley went to go get Mr. Matthews." He told her. Maya only nodded against his shoulder, trying her best to focus on Farkle's comfort and getting herself to calm down enough to be coherent.