If Only Someday

For this one we're going to pretend that Josh was there for all the big events and that Uriah didn't have his motorcycle accident.

P.S, I realize the timeline in this will probably not add up, but were going to pretend because it's a story. So just go with it.
Besides, I feel like the timeline with some of the episodes are really confusing anyway.

__________________________________

Turn it off. No expression, no emotion, no reaction. Turn it off.

This is what Maya Hart learned how to do at a young age. Never let them see you react, hide the tears, keep the cold stone expression on your face when you look them in the eyes. Don't let them see how you truly feel.

Be there for everyone else. Stand up and say something when someone you love is being attacked. Be a shoulder to cry on for them. Be the solution to all their problems. But never let them know you're the one that needs saving.

Be the superhero to everyone else's story, but be the only superhero in your own. Words she lived by. It was something she was good at, something she was known for. It was the main thing that made Joshua Matthew's start to notice her more.

The college party was the first instance that made him realize her feelings for him may have been bigger than really either of them realized. He had grown up in a house filled with love. His parents had one of the best love stories next to Cory and Topanga's. He knew what it looked like. But never had he heard someone speak about him so intently in the way that she had that night.

The things she said. The way she looked at him. The way his he felt after she had said them. The way it had scared him when he realized he brought up the three year age gap as a reminder to himself more than to her. His friends had realized it then, but he was still in denial. She couldn't possibly have such big feelings like that at her age. He was older and had more experience in the dating world, yet he still had never felt big feelings like that. It just wasn't logical at fourteen.

Then later on that night, when Maya had revealed that she had been the one to tell Cory and Topanga about the party, Josh realized that maybe he had been so determined to keep his eyes set on the age gap, that he didn't realize just how much they were both growing. Maya was changing in front of him, and he knew something inside of him was changing as well.

The first thought came to him when he started hearing about the whole year book couple thing of Lucas and Maya. Riley was visibly upset about her own category, and very clearly bothered over the fact her best friend got paired with the boy she'd always liked. He could hear the frustration in Maya's tone when she was venting about it one night at dinner.

Riley wouldn't come out of her room, and Maya had been trying for the last hour to get her to come to her senses. Josh listened as she told the story, saying how everyone in class was now talking about how she and Lucas would make a great couple with clear disgust in her tone.

It was a small thought, one that had slipped through his barrier before he could even realize that he thought it. 'Did she ever think about Lucas like that?'
Josh crushed it before it could become something bigger. So what if she did? It wasn't any of his business. And he avoided her gaze the rest of the evening as he focused on his plate in front of him.

There wasn't many things Maya was passionate about. But one thing that always stood out for her was her art. It was the best way she knew how to express herself. And she was good. Really good. Even Josh had to admit that on the rare occasion he saw something she drew or painted that he was awe of her talent. And when the school was taking away the art program, he remembered the feeling of slight pain that went through his chest at the thought of Maya having something she loved so much being taken away from her.