Chapter 696

Chapter 696 A Reversal, Ling Mingyan Modified Her Previous Remark

Mo Xuetong did not expect the Sixth Princess to come as well!

Her face was hidden behind a layer of a thin veil, and others could faintly see the thick cloth wrapped around her face. Although her eyes could not be seen, others felt that her temperament had changed. She was no longer as gentle and soft as she used to be. Instead, she reeked of a strong sense of gloom. She clasped her hands tightly and looked coldly through the veil at the people entering the hall without saying anything.

Imperial Noble Consort Wen looked weak and aggrieved. Sitting beside the Sixth Princess, she held her daughter’s hand and patted her from time to time. The corners of her eyes were red and swollen, and she was in low spirits. It was obvious that she had cried. After all, her only daughter had suffered such a thing. As a mother, how could she not be sad?

The Empress Dowager and the Empress were both seated by Emperor Zongwen’s side.

“Ling Mingyan, why did you do that?” since this was a matter between women, the Empress asked on behalf of the Emperor.

Emperor Zongwen did not seem to be in a good mood. His sharp eyes landed on Ling Mingyan as well, but he did not say a word, which was a sign that he was about to get angry. When Duke Ding saw that Emperor Zongwen’s thoughtful eyes were shifting to him, the corners of his eyes could not help but twitch, and he hurriedly lowered his head.

He secretly hated his daughter who was kneeling in the hall. He had known that she was a troublemaker, and that was why he had never planned to marry his daughter off to those princes. He chose his second brother’s daughter to be a prince’s legal wife instead of her because she was too arrogant.

Originally, Duke Ding thought that Mingguo Manor was as powerful as Ding General Manor, but Ding General Manor still had the support of the palace. Even if something happened, with the support of the Empress Dowager and the Empress, Ling Mingyan would be fine. This was also the reason why Duke Ding doted on his only daughter. Although the marriage between the two manors had some political properties, it was what Ling Mingyan wanted.

It could also be said that she had chosen her own husband on her own.

However, the matter had gotten to this point. No matter how much Duke Ding loved his daughter, he was still filled with anger!

“Your Majesty, it was Sixth Princess who framed me. She wanted to ruin my reputation. It was Sixth Princess who set up a trap for me. I hated her and thus I hurt her.” At this point, Ling Mingyan was ready to risk everything. Although she was nervous, she still gritted her teeth and defended herself.

“How did you know that Sixth Princess wanted to frame you?” the Empress asked in a deep voice.

“I didn’t know that man at first, but his figure is very similar to that of His Excellency. I stood by the shore and saw him meeting with a woman, so I got angry and rushed over to pull him. When I pulled him over, I saw that it was not His Excellency, which led to this misunderstanding. At that time, Sixth Princess was not present. But when she came over later, she mentioned it from time to time. It was obvious that she knew about it.”

Ling Mingyan could only insist that the Sixth Princess had framed her.

“Your Majesty, His Excellency and I love each other so much. Doesn’t Sixth Princess feel tired when she has been holding him in her heart? She made a scene in Mingguo Manor before, and this time, she set a trap in Princess Caifeng’s manor. As a princess, she has extended her hand so far from the inner palace. Is it really just a matter of me alone?”