Chapter 718

Chapter 718 The Confrontation between the Empress Dowager and the Emperor in the Imperial Study

No one had expected this result. Even Feng Yuzhen and the Empress Dowager did not dare to believe it. It was just a small matter to frame Mo Xuetong, but how could it cause such a big commotion? If he had known this would happen, Feng Yuzhen would not have plotted against Mo Xuetong, nor provoke Feng Yuxuan and Feng Yuran at one time, which caused the matter to be brought to the imperial palace.

The crux of the matter was not whether Mo Xuetong was really having an affair with Feng Yuxuan.

As long as Feng Yuran believed that Mo Xuetong had an affair with Feng Yuxuan, then no matter how she tried to defend herself and how Feng Yuxuan tried to verify it, Feng Yuran could push the blame onto Feng Yuxuan. After this matter happened, Mo Xuetong would definitely die. Furthermore, she had made Feng Yuran a cuckold.

In this case, it was obviously that Feng Yuran would deal with Feng Yuxuan until he defeated him! Moreover, there was the matter about the maidservant Honghua.

However, no one had expected that something changed. What they found in Mo Xuetong’s room was not Feng Yuxuan’s robe that Mo Yufeng had hidden in, nor the “private letters” that Feng Yuxuan had written to Mo Xuetong. Then, the poison that Auntie Qing had asked the little maidservant Honghua to take did not take effect at the scheduled time of night.

The original plan was to discover King Chu’s private items in Mo Xuetong’s room in the day, and Honghua pushed the blame onto Mo Xuetong. How could the latter not investigate the matter in front of all the guests in the room? The maidservant would fall into Mo Xuetong’s hands. As this incident happened in the back courtyard, the front courtyard would definitely be in an uproar.

Feng Yuran was not a man who could tolerate suffering loss. With his arrogant character, he might rush to King Chu’s Manor and fight with Feng Yuxuan directly. After Mo Xuetong got the news, she wouldn’t have the mood to deal with these things. She had to quell Feng Yuran’s anger first. Then this matter wouldn’t be clear.

By the time everyone discovered that the maidservant Honghua had already died, Mo Xuetong and Feng Yuxuan would unable to give a convincing explanation for self-defense.

This was supposed to be a completely flawless plan. Who knew that something unforeseen had happened? They had failed to frame Mo Xuetong. Feng Yuran had indeed gone to find Feng Yuxuan. However, why did the Emperor decree an edict and order Feng Yuzhen to come to Qianqing Palace after the two of them entered the palace angrily?

When the Empress Dowager got the news and came from Cining Palace, she saw Feng Yuzhen being detained below the throne. Her crown was knocked off his head, and his embroidered robe was also taken off. He knelt there in a mess, and his face was pale.

“Your Majesty, what happened? What’s wrong with Zhen’er?” The Empress Dowager was so anxious that her face flushed. She could not be bothered to be polite and went straight to the point.

“Mother, you’re here. I was about to invite you. Please take a seat.” There were no outsiders in the imperial study. Only the lead eunuch, Liu Xi, was standing beside Emperor Zongwen. At the sight of the Empress Dowager, he immediately curtsied before retreated to the side with care.

The Empress Dowager cooled her anger and then relaxed when she saw that Emperor Zongwen’s expression was still calm. She sat down on a chair by the side and said, “Your Majesty, I heard that something happened to Zhen’er, so I came specially to take a look. Has anything big happened? I notice that Zhen’er’s crown even has been knocked down.”

Even though she had learned this matter before coming, the most important thing was still about Feng Yuzhen. The Empress Dowager hadn’t figured out what had happened yet! She looked at Emperor Zongwen with a glint in her eyes, really not understanding what Feng Yuzhen had done to make the Emperor so angry.