199: They're here... (3)

Chapter 199: They're here... (3)

When Kimi walked out of the portal after the other girls, she found herself in UA's backyard and froze just like everyone else.

"What... is this?" Rumi mumbled, dazed as she watched the scene ahead.

"..."

The other girls stayed silent, except for Momo who covered her gasp with a hand, her eyes shaking.

The world around them was in ashes, charred ashes. Green gas of radiation was everywhere, rising from every destroyed building, or at least what remained of those "buildings", filling the atmosphere to the brink.

Kimi's eyes wandered, a feeling of blob on her throat as she gulped it down. She could see skulls, bones and parts of human skeletons lying around the ground, the skeletons belonging to UA students, teachers, and even the civilians who took shelter here.

A few ten metres away from them, Kimi's eyes fell on a black-furred mouse with red eyes and green gas coming out of its mouth that was chewing on the remnants of another mouse-like skeleton, albeit much bigger than itself.

'Wait... is that Principal Nezu's corpse?'

That thought made the blob in her throat intensify. She suddenly wanted to vomit.

To shake away her nausea, she snapped her head in another direction, only for her thoughts to go silent.

UA was a mountain, so it gave a view of the city below it, and she could easily see the fire that was dancing there, it looked fresh. Buildings were broken, smashed to the ground as green smoke and fire with a taint of green in it danced around them, looking like the deepest part of hell.

What the hell was this place? Was this really Japan?

The more she looked around, along with the other girls, she saw more and more skeletons, fire in the far and radioactive animals running around.

She couldn't help but curse.

"Holy fuck..."

She silently cast a spell at the same time to keep her and the girls safe from the radiation, though it was unneeded with their now much stronger bodies she didn't want to take a risk.

Neji was right, his words didn't do this destruction justice. This country... and even this entire planet if this a worldwide phenomenon, it was too far gone already, too deep down the sink for it to be saved.

Heck, her [Search] spell couldn't sense any living human a thousand kilometres from here! The only living beings she could sense at all were radioactive animals!

This...

This was the doomsday.

"What a sight, whew." Neji's voice came from behind her as he walked out of the portal that closed by itself. "Antarctica looks the best, at this time. The auroras in the sky are gorgeous, illuminating the place like the centre of the cosmos."

"Neji, this isn't a joking matter!" Nejire yelled as she glared at him, her hands on her waist. "You are being a bad influence on Kurai!"

Kurai, who had run to the radioactive mouse by then, threatening it with her claws for fun, stopped in her spot and blinked.

"I think it's too late," Momo said, looking at the mouse. "She's irredeemable."

"Hey, don't talk about my daughter like that. She's just having fun." Neji protested, walking over and patting Kurai in the head, placing her on his shoulder.