Making Amends: Jane

Seulki finally meets up with Jane

Clutching the bottle of wine in her hand, Seulki stared at the door in front of her. She hadn't called Jane to tell her she was coming because honestly, she didn't think the girl would answer. She couldn't blame her for that. Seulki was supposed to be her best friend but she had gotten so wrapped up in her own turmoil that she wasn't there while her best friend was going through a whole different turmoil.

Gathering her nerves, she knocked firmly on the wooden door. She heard shuffling from the other side and she held her breath. Much to her dismay, it wasn't Jane that answered the door. It was one of her members: Changkyun. "Why are you here?" He asked a little coldly and Seulki flinched a little. Changkyun was probably Jane's closest friend and he had every right to be upset with her just as much as Jane did.

"I-I was hoping Jane was home. I need to talk to her. To apologize." Changkyun looked her up and down, looking quite annoyed by her presence. It annoyed Seulki a little but she bit her tongue. "That would've been nice for you to do a month ago." His blunt comment caught Seulki off guard and made the guilt well up astronomically in her. He was right.

She should have been there a month ago. Two months ago. When she first found out her father was having problems Seulki should have been there every step of the way. And she wasn't. "You don't have to like me," Seulki breathed out as calmly as possible, "And I don't blame you for not being my biggest fan right now. But she's still my best friend and I still need to apologize even if she doesn't want to be friends anymore. So, is she here or not?"

Seulki hadn't meant for it to come off as snarky as it did, but she didn't care. Changkyun didn't have to like her; they weren't friends, just acquaintances and people who worked in the same field. "She's here but I doubt she'll want to see you. But do whatever you have to do, I guess."

It hadn't even clicked in her mind that Changkyun had multiple reasons to not be her biggest fan right now. She had fucked up with Jane and Hyungwon. Both of whom were members of his group. His family. "I'll take my chances," Seulki muttered, following him and slipping her shoes off.

"Who was that—oh." Jane came around the corner to check who was at the door and her face dropped when she saw Seulki. Seulki sent her a timid smile and awkwardly held up the wine bottle. "I brought wine?" Jane only rolled her eyes and turned back around to walk into the living room. Seulki gulped and followed behind.

"I told her you didn't want to see her," Changkyun said and Jane rolled her eyes again. "Just give us a minute, Kyun." Changkyun didn't look like he wanted to leave, but eventually he sighed and grumbled something about being in the kitchen if she needed him.

Sitting on the couch, Seulki felt awkward. This was new for the two of them. Jane had been one of the only people Seulki had truly never felt awkward or like she had to plaster on a different persona. She didn't like this feeling and she didn't have anyone else to blame but herself. "So, why are you here?" Jane bluntly asked.

Placing the wine bottle on the ground, Seulki stared at her best friend. She looked tired and like she had lost some weight, but she was certain she looked much better right now than she did a few weeks ago. "I came to apologize." Jane snorted. "You could have just called."

"Would you have answered?"

Jane glared at her before averting her gaze to the fabric of the couch. "No."

"Exactly."

The two were quiet for some time before Jane looked up at her again. "You're a bitch." It stung, but it was also the truth. She had been a bitch. She'd been a shitty friend. "I know."

"My dad died."

"I know."

"You weren't there. You didn't even call me to see how I was."

"I know."

Jane's voice was rising a little in volume and her eyes were becoming glossy with tears. "You weren't at the funeral. Shit, even Nari and Harin sent flowers!"

"I know," Seulki's shoulders sagged a little but she kept her eyes locked with Jane's.

"I needed my best friend and you weren't there!"

By this point tears had started falling over Jane's face and she angrily wiped them away. Seulki wanted to wrap the girl in a hug but she knew right now wasn't the time for that. "I know."

"You're such a bitch!" Jane yelled out again and that's when Seulki leaned forward and hugged her tight. To her surprise, Jane hugged her back just as tight.

"I'm a bitch and I'm a shitty friend and I wasn't there for you," her voice was shaky, "And I'm so sorry, YunJae. I'm so fucking sorry. You needed me and I wasn't there and I can't ever forgive myself for that. You shouldn't either. I'm so sorry."

The two sat there, hugging each other and both of them with some tears falling over their cheeks. Jane pulled away, sniffling and wiping her face off. "I don't hate you, but I should. But I am mad at you. And I don't forgive you. Right now."

Seulki nodded in understanding. "I wasn't expecting you to. I really just wanted to apologize to you. And tell you that I'm going to be better. A better person and a better friend. If you still want me as a friend."

Jane was quiet and Seulki felt her heart slowly breaking all over again. She couldn't be mad if Jane didn't want to be friends anymore. It would be her own fault anyways. But she also didn't want to lose Jane. She was her best friend. The one girl that she truly felt she could turn to with anything and everything. More than her members. But she couldn't make that decision and she couldn't change it. Every action has a reaction and if the reaction was to not be friends anymore, Seulki was going to have to accept that.

"You're stupid just as much as you're a bitch," Jane said but Seulki could detect the slight teasing in her tone. Looking back at her, Jane had a small smile on her face. "I still want to be friends, idiot. I'm just mad at you." Seulki felt her eyes well up for a whole new reason: relief. She wasn't losing her best friend.

"Wine is a good way to start forgiving, I suppose," Jane said, walking to the kitchen to get a bottle opener. Seulki smiled to herself and relaxed into the couch a little more.

They were no where near back to the friendship they once had, but it was a start. And Jane was right.

Wine was always a good way to start.