Miniseries: Growing Up: Jimin

Jimin and Seulki growing together

When Jimin first met Seulki, she barely talked. She wasn't rude or anything, always giving a polite hello and answering any questions when they were directed towards her, but she kept to herself for most of the time. Jimin had tried numerous times to engage her more with them, especially in conversations but she always seemed to second guess herself and just stay quiet. It infuriated Jimin. One, because they were supposed to be a team and that wouldn't work out well if she could barely say three words to them. Two, because he is pretty outgoing person himself and it baffled him how someone could be so timid.

Jimin had noticed that Seulki had been staying later and later at the company's building; opting not to come home with them on most nights. It worried him a little; he wanted to make sure that all his members were taking care of themselves and getting proper rest. Every time he'd try to ask her about it, she would brush it off, giving him a small response of 'don't worry, I'm fine' and 'I'm taking care of myself.' She didn't really open up to him, or anyone for that matter, and he was growing quite tired of trying to guess what was on her mind.

One night, he stayed behind after practice, claiming he wanted to work on the choreography just a little more. The others were too exhausted to fight with him, only telling him not to stay out to late. Seulki hadn't stayed behind, in the practice room at least, and Jimin did practice for a little while before his body was screaming at him to stop. He was tired, that's for sure and his muscles were sore, aching. He had hoped Seulki was going to be coming back, but she hadn't. He took it as a positive; maybe she had gone home tonight.

However, as he walked out of the practice room, flipping off the lights, he heard a voice coming from down the hall; the music studios. He tiredly made his way over there, peeking through all the doors until his eyes widened at his youngest member, belting her heart out to their song. Her voice faltered a little as the really high notes arrived, but unless you had a trained ear, you really wouldn't be able to tell. He watched in wonder for a few minutes until Seulki let out a groan of frustration and threw the headphones on the ground, sinking into the chair and pinching the bridge of her nose.

He took a breath, not bothering to knock and walked in. She jumped at the intrusion, hazel eyes, which he was quickly growing fond of, wide with confusion. "Oppa? What are you still doing here so late?" She asked and Jimin smiled, shaking his head. "I could ask you the same thing, S." She shrugged, averting her gaze to the floor. "Just practicing. Sort of. I can't seem to get this part down." She said the last part more to herself and Jimin's face brightened. It was the first time she was expressing something to him other than 'I'm fine.'

"I can help?" He asked, hesitantly. She looked at him, eyes scanning his face. "I couldn't ask you to do that. I'm fine." He sighed, feeling like a deflating balloon. She was back to the shy, timid girl. "Just let me help, for a little bit." He said and she sighed, nodding. "Fine. But only an hour and then we go home?" She said and he nodded, smiling happily. And they spent more than hour, singing their hearts out until their throats were raw and it was nearing sunrise. Thankfully, they were able to have a day off that day.

Now, as Jimin watched her recording the part for their album, he smiled with pride. She hit her notes perfectly, voice not wavering or cracking, no matter how high the octave. She was no longer afraid to ask for help, though now it was usually Jungkook she would ask for singing help, but Jimin would tag along. He watched her as she felt the music, felt the vibe and sang happily into the mic, the staff not having to stop and have her repeat it once. Once she finished, the staff said that the one take was perfect but Jimin saw Seulki furrow her eyebrows. He knew that look. She wasn't happy with it and she looked at him. He nodded, giving her a thumbs up.

"PD-nim, can we try just one more?" Jimin asked and the producer nodded. Seulki blew him a kiss and he laughed, pretending to catch it and put it in his pocket. Sure, Seulki was still timid and shy around some people, but she had finally opened up to them. Being able to be her true self, for them. She laughed with them, teased them, played pranks on them. She'd go out alone with another member, always talking and sometimes, Jimin wished she would go back to being that quiet person who only said three words, especially when he was tired. But he wouldn't trade it for the world.

She finished, looking much happier the second time around than the first and she happily skipped out of the recording booth, thanking the staff and linking her arm with Jimin's. He smiled down at the grown woman in front of him now, who only a few years ago, would have avoided any physical contact with them at all costs. "Do you think it was okay?" She asked as they walked out of the room together. Jimin smiled, patting her head. "It was perfect, darling." She smiled brightly, nodding her head. "You're right. C'mon! I'll by us some Boba tea because you were so nice and waited for me all day." She pinched his cheek, skipping ahead, a smile on her face.

Jimin chuckled, picking up his pace to keep up with her, but he couldn't help the swell of warmth in his chest as he observed her. She was perfectly capable of doing all this on her own now, without needing someone there to cheer her on. She could start her own conversations with a stranger, even if she didn't really want to. She could express her opinions, and Jimin was damn well aware that she was stubborn as hell about them. But he didn't mind.

His sister, his yeodongsaeng, had grown into a bright, independent, wonderful woman. And he couldn't be more proud that he had been by her side all these years to watch it happen.