Guarded

Seulki confides in Jin

Seulki stared out the window as she let the cold water run over the vegetables in her hand. "Yah! Are you trying to drown them?" Jin scolded, shutting off the water. She blinked as he took the food out of her hand and placed on the cutting board. "I asked for you to help me cook tonight but if you're going to ruin the meal, nevermind." He teased and she rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, I spaced out. Let me cut those." She grabbed the knife out of his hand, getting to work. She had hoped agreeing to help Jin with dinner tonight would give her mind a distraction, but it wasn't working. She had talked to Hyungwon about her fear that Byeol might still be harboring some feelings. She believed him when he told her he didn't have any, but just because he doesn't didn't mean that Byeol doesn't.

"Ow!" She hissed in pain as the blade of the knife grazed her finger. She turned around, running it under the faucet. "I never thought I'd have to teach you to use a knife." Jin grumbled as he pulled her hand out, drying it and pulling out a Band-Aid. "What is with you today?"

"I'm just distracted. Sorry. Maybe I shouldn't be helping." She took a seat at one of the bar stools and Jin narrowed his eyes as he continued chopping where she left off. "Wanna tell me why you're so distracted you can't help prepare your favorite meal?" Jin teased and she sighed, placing her arms on the counter and resting her chin on her hands.

"It's Hyungwon." Jin stopped cutting, looking at her with concern. "What did he do?! I'll fight him." Seulki chuckled, shaking her head. "He didn't do anything, oppa. Relax." Jin cocked his head in confusion. "Remember when I had the girls over a few weeks ago?" She asked and Jin coughed, nodding his head. "I may have heard about it."

Seulki rolled her eyes, sitting up. "I already know you told Harin to watch me. She told me." Jin threw his hands up in mock anger. "Does no one know how to keep secrets anymore?!" Seulki giggled, crossing her legs. "It was pretty obvious. She was watching my every move." Jin grumbled to himself, going back to chopping up the last of the vegetables and moving them to the pot.

"While it was a little annoying that you didn't trust me to take care of myself, I'm not mad about it." Jin huffed, chuckling a little. "Can you blame me?" Seulki shook her head. She couldn't. At that time everything was still new and she was still isolating. The only way her parents probably would've known anything was if they sent a spy.

"Did something happen with them and Hyungwon?" He asked and Seulki shook her head. "I met Byeol. From GOT7." Jin's eyes lit up and he suddenly seemed a lot more interested. Seulki raised an eyebrow as she now had his undivided attention. "Was she nice? I heard she's pretty. Pretty funny I mean." The tips of his ears turned red as he went back to busying himself with making food.

Seulki scoffed. What was it about Byeol that she seemed to have everyone wrapped around her finger? She was nice, sure. And pretty, but Seulki couldn't see why the male idol population seemed flustered by just her name. "She was nice. And pretty funny." Even she could hear the slight disdain in her voice at the last part. Jin cleared his throat, nodding his head and pretending like he didn't really care now.

"Did she say something about Hyungwon?" Seulki nodded. "Yeah, actually. She said they dated." Jin looked up at her, raising an eyebrow. "Really? I'm surprised the press didn't get ahold of that." Seulki shrugged. "She said it was when they were still trainees." Jin hummed, but he still didn't understand why Seulki was so distracted.

"You need to help an old man out; I still don't get why you're upset." Seulki groaned. Sometimes she really felt like she had to make a whole presentation when trying to explain things to Jin. "I—he never told me about it." Jin shrugged, tasting the stew, his lips forming a pout as he turned around looking for some spice.

"So? If it was so long ago I don't see why he has to tell you. Have you told him everyone you've dated?" Seulki bit her cheek. "No." Jin nodded, turning and looking at her. "Exactly. You can't exactly be mad at him for the people that came before you, S." She narrowed her eyes at him. "I'm not mad at him." Jin threw his hands up again, but this time he was really frustrated.

"Then I don't get it!" Seulki took in a breath, trying to calm her annoyance. "I just—when she was talking about it. She still seemed kind of sad about it. And it made me worry." The lightbulb went off in Jin's brain and he let out a little 'ah.' "So, you're worried she still has feelings?" Seulki nodded. "Did you ask her?" Seulki shook her head.

"We just met! What was I supposed to say?! Hey, I know we just met but do you still like my boyfriend?" Jin chuckled, shaking his head and putting the lid over the pot before leaning over the counter and placing his chin in his hands. "What did Hyungwon say?" Seulki smiled a little. "He said he doesn't have any feelings. And I believe him. But that doesn't mean she doesn't still."

Jin hummed, taking his apron off and hanging it up. "Honestly, baby, I wouldn't worry about it unless Byeol herself tells you that she still likes them. Then you can have a conversation. Like adults." Seulki huffed. She knew that already. But it was kind of hard. "There's just—there's a lot going on in my life right now." Jin nodded, leaning against the counter and crossing his arms.

"I don't want this stress. And it's hard for it to just stay buried in the back of my head right now. I'm a little vulnerable." Jin sighed, walking around the counter and back hugging her, kissing the top of her head. "I don't understand why you get so insecure and lost within yourself, baby. You're gorgeous and anyone with eyes can see just how much Hyungwon really loves you. Whether or not someone else likes him."

She melted into his embrace. It wasn't everyday that Jin and Seulki could talk seriously without arguing, let alone hug each other. It felt nice to have him acting as an older brother and not like her mom. "You're right. I'm sorry. I'm just, guarded I guess." Jin hummed taking the seat next to her. "I know. But no matter what it is, I know you'll overcome it. Right now, let's just focus on how I made your favorite meal all by myself without your help."

Seulki rolled her eyes, hitting him playfully on the arm. She was going to do her best to keep it in the back of her head and not dwell on it. At least until she could get the other things in her life back on track.

One step at a time.