Growing Up: Jungkook

Through the years Jungkook has helped Seulki handle her stresses

Seulki and Jungkook may be the same age, but he was technically still older. They had started training around the same age and were put in a group together at the age. Jungkook was nervous at first, sure. He hadn't had many interactions with other people outside his group mates besides school let alone a female.

He quickly realized that Seulki had definitely lived a privileged life. She had shown no signs of ever having to worry about how food would be put on the table or how bills would be paid at the end of the month. Yet, he could still see the timid and scared girl that she always tried to hide from them. She tried to make herself small when they were all together. Always worried about getting in the way or stepping on someone's toes.

It irked Jungkook to no end but who was he to change it at that time? Until the hate comments started. They all thought Seulki was beautiful. Her eyes were a hazel that almost hypnotized everyone they were around. She kept herself in shape, wore clothes that flattered her figure. When she walked in a room or on stage she gave off an incredible aura that she owned it. But that aura faded quickly once it was over.

When the hate comments first started, most of the members couldn't understand them because they were in other languages. When they would ask Namjoon or Seulki they would always change what was being said and say something positive instead. None of the members knew at the time that the two were trying not to give that burden of hate to the others and taking it all for themselves.

But Jungkook was observant. He saw how Seulki and Namjoon seemed more tired and stressed as the days went on. So, he challenged himself to start learning these other languages. He wanted to know what was being said. He wanted to know why Seulki avoided social media or looking at her phone when she could. He didn't like watching Seulki seemingly make herself smaller and smaller.

Hiding behind others when they would go to press events. Only speaking if a question was directed towards her or if another one of them had invited her into the answer. Always sitting with perfect posture and a smile plastered to her face. Only for her to slump over once cameras weren't flashing away or the director yelled cut and the smile to fall. Wearing contacts to hide the color of her eyes.

When Yoongi had found the pamphlets about plastic surgery and they were all pissed only to be shocked when Seulki had told them she had brought it up. Jungkook didn't like that. Didn't like watching someone he considered his little sister letting strangers affect how she felt about herself or how she viewed herself. Didn't like that she was changing who she was to appeal to the rest of Korea.

So, he stepped in. He brought her to the gym one day and while he knew she wasn't thrilled about it nor wanted to actually go, he needed to put his plan in motion. He might not be good at words or physical comfort, but he knew how to get anger and frustration out without hurting himself or others. He knew how to shut someone's mind off for a few hours. That was his plan.

She wasn't at all thrilled when he wrapped her hands up and put the boxing gloves over them. But, like the diligent girl she was making herself out to be, she only complained a few times while still letting him do it. Then he taught her to punch. Told her to think of all the comments, all the hate, all the negativity and put it into her punches. To let it all out on the bag instead of within herself. She was hesitant at first and he knew that was going to happen and he had a plan for that too.

As much as he hated himself for it, he started reading comments out loud. With each word he saw her get angrier and angrier. In turn, she punched harder and harder. Until she was screaming out insults and comments she had seen with every punch. She broke down, finally letting it out and Jungkook couldn't help but smile as he made his way over to her. He wrapped her in a hug, pulling her to his chest and they sat in silence while she cried it all out.

From that day on, Jungkook would see her more and more in the gym punching the red bag hanging from the ceiling. Hair tied back and in work out clothes with no makeup. Not caring how she looked and focusing all of her energy to the bag and the punches. He could only smile as he would watch her because after every session, she seemed lighter and happier. She started smiling more. Her contacts that masked the color of her eyes were long gone.

She was wearing less makeup, less flashy clothes. Becoming more comfortable with the natural her. The others were always there to have her back and support her when she needed it, but Jungkook liked to pride himself on the fact that maybe he helped just a little bit more. While the others could give kind words, take her shopping or help her pour it into their music, he was able to give her an outlet when she didn't want any of that.