Chapter 17: Great Grandmother & Epiphany!

"My goodness, aren't you just the cutest little Elf ever!" Remarked the calm womanly voice as she picked Elif up and faced him towards her, which allowed him to see her face.

Seeing my Great-grandmothers face stunned me as while Great-grandfather looked slightly older than my grandfather, Great-grandmother looked like she could be my mother's sister with how young she looked.

"Umm, are you really my Great-grandmother?" Asked Elif, slightly skeptical of the beautiful young woman in front of him.

"Why would you ask something silly like that?" Replied the woman as she turned to see Marcus, Maria, and Illumia enter the room.

"Because you look super young compared to Great-grandfather." Said Elif, though his words came off as a compliment to the woman's ears.

"Well, well, it seems you know just how to brighten up a woman's day, don't you?" Said the woman with a warm smile, though Elif seemed slightly confused at her statement.

"Grandmother, will you continue holding Elif like that, or can we go to the treasury?" Asked Maria.

Hearing my mother's voice from behind me, I try turning around, which proves very difficult with how tightly Great-grandmother is holding me.

"Mother, is she really my Great-grandmother?" Asked Elif after finally managing to turn around.

"Yes, she is, and her name is Celeste, by the way. Now, grandmother, can we go? You've been holding him for a while now." Said Maria as she walked past both of them and continued towards a door in the back of the room.

"Such an impatient little girl; let's go and meet up with your mother." Said Celeste as she stood up from the edge of her and followed right behind Illumia while shaking her head at Maria's personality.

"So what's your name, little lady?" Asked Celeste.

"My name is Illumia, and I'm Elifs personal maid, your Majesty." Answered Illumia with a bow.

"Don't call me your majesty; I'm no longer an Empress; just call me Queen Celeste." Stated Celeste.

"Of course, Queen Celeste." Said Illumia.

As Great-grandmother and Illumia continued walking down the hallway the door led to, I asked a question I have wanted to ask since I was before the nobles.

"Hey Illumia, why were the nobles staring at you from earlier?" Asked Elif.

"If I had to take a guess, it would be because of my previous job, your highness." Answered Illumia.

"Hmm, what was your previous job then? It had to be something special if all the nobles were staring at you." Asked Elif in curiosity.

"I was the general of the north, ordered to guard the northern border with my army." Stated Illumia, blandly as usual.

"Oh, so you're the 'Battle Maniac General' I heard about a while ago; I must say, with how you act now, I would've never guessed that was you." Remarked Celeste with a chuckle, though her words seemed to have caught Elifs interest.

"Battle Maniac? Does that mean you like to fight?" Asked Elif.

"You could say so, your highness." Answered Illumia with a slight grin on her face.

I had wanted to ask another question, but it seemed like we had arrived at our destination, considering that we had stopped right in front of a giant vault door.

"Stay here, Elif; I need to open the door into the treasury." Said Celeste as she set Elif down and went to the right side of the vault door.

"Did you bring the key, Marcus?" Asked Celeste as a glowing golden crystal appeared right in her hand.