Chapter 41: Tournament Phase Two

Seeing how the contestants in the battle both had a Saint Lord cultivation base, I didn't expect much to happen during the match, and I was correct. Both of them were closely matched, so it really came down to who could use an auxiliary item first to get the upper hand, and the dark Elf managed to activate one of his talismans quicker, forcing his opponent to go on the defensive. At that point, I could tell he already had won; now it was really to see just how long his opponent could survive the onslaught for, which wasn't too long, though once his defensive technique was broken through, he was what Illumia would call it, 'a sitting duck'.

'So since he lost, he'll fight against the next matches loser, and whoever wins between them will be allowed to continue in the tournament. Quite generous if you ask me; I've always been told that in a real fight, you won't get a second chance, but I guess it's fine since this tournament is meant to allow for the younger generation to show off their strength and talent.' Thought Elif after watching the dark-Elf knock out his opponent, allowing him to continue down the bracket.

The next match consisted of another Saint Lord fighting against a Saint King, yet the Saint Lord admitted defeat right when the match started, giving the Saint King a win without even fighting.

"That was incredibly pathetic! To think someone would actually admit defeat while being watched by the entire Empire, although I must say he is quite brave to do that because I would never be capable of doing so." Commented Elif with disdain oozing out of his voice as he watched the next contestants arrive on stage.

The next match was similar to the first one, except they were both in the Saint King realm, and one of them had a weapon, so the battle went on for a little bit longer before either of them used any of their auxiliary items though even after they both activated talismans, they still continued for a reasonable amount of time until one of them read the situation wrong and fell into their opponents trap, causing them to take an injury which had also lowered their strength. Just like previously, I had expected him to win now because he managed to injure his opponent, yet contrary to my expectations, his opponent quickly swallowed a pill that seemed to increase their cultivation base by one minor realm. Even though she was injured, she still had enough power to break his talisman, putting him at a severe disadvantage with him now having to defend against her and her talisman, which he couldn't do for more than a couple of seconds before finally getting swatted out of the sky unconscious.

"That was a pretty intense fight that lasted for quite a while, but what was the point of him carrying a sword on his waist if he never even used it in the first place?" Asked Elif as he watched the boy get carried out by what he assumed would be his maids.

"Nobles care a lot about their reputation and appearance, so, likely, it was merely a decoration, your highness."

"Find that unlikely, considering how the previous match went." Replied Elif sarcastically, though he did believe Illumia.

The fourth match was similar to the second match, with both contestants having a significant difference in cultivation, but at least this time, the one with a lower cultivation base had some pride and didn't forfeit like a coward, though he was still quickly defeated; however, I'm sure he gained some respect among the nobles.

The fifth match was Alf against a random noble, and with how nervous he was, I figured he would admit defeat immediately. Yet, when the match started, he didn't even have enough time to open his mouth before he got smashed into the ground by Alf's hammer; when she lifted the hammer, you could see the noble embedded into the ground with blood covering his face and a broken nose.

"Alf is quite ruthless; she didn't even give that boy enough time to admit defeat before she attacked, though I never knew she used a hammer. Yep, fighting her is going to be extremely difficult." Commented Elif as he watched Alif fly off stage with the hammer resting on her shoulder.