Chapter 156: Shocking Truth!?

"This child right here is the product of Sage Hoks solution." Said the King as he grabbed the baby from the guard's arms and held her in the air for all to see.

'Hmm, but isn't she just a normal Elf?' Thought the young Lourdes while eyeing the child.

"Excuse my rudeness, King August, but isn't she just a normal Elf?" Asked the woman sitting beside Sage Oakley.

"She is normal, yes; there is absolutely nothing unique or special about her; however, at the same time, she isn't a normal Elf." Remarked the King, his words filling everyone's confusion.

Seeing everyone else's expression, I could tell I wasn't the only one perplexed by Father's statement, though my confusion didn't last for long as Father then removed the blanket that was covering her head, allowing us to view her head.

"There isn't a golden star mark." Muttered Lourdes with widened eyes as she looked at the child's bare forehead.

"Where is the child's mark? Is she not an Elf?" Questioned one of the nobles in confusion.

"No, she isn't, but she does have Elven blood coursing through her veins." Said the man sitting beside General Alfhild with a frown while eying the child.

"M-My King, is this the solution Sage Hok gave you? Must we unite our Elven blood with the blood of our enemies? Is there not another way?" Asked Sage Oakley with near-teary eyes while eyeing the child, not wishing to believe the King's words.

Sage Oakley's words were like an explosion, as all the nobles instantly got restless and began speaking their thoughts, every single one rejecting such an idea. I, on the other hand, wasn't against like everyone else, mainly because I didn't have as much pride in our Elven blood as them, though I'm sure if I was to live as long as them, I'd feel the same.

"Silence! That's enough!" Exclaimed the King, his loud and deep voice reverberating through the entire room, quickly quieting the angry and displeased nobles

"I'm the same as you all; when Sage Hok first told me of this solution, I wanted to refuse it vehemently. As a prideful Elven warrior and King, I didn't want to resort to having to sully our blood with our enemies. But while I may have been a warrior, I'm a King, and my duty as King is to ensure our Kingdom survives and thrives long into the future. I had done my absolute best searching for another way even after Sage Hoks' death, but eventually, I realized his solution was the only one that would allow our Kingdom to possibly survive." Stated the King, his deep and solemn voice becoming more and more helpless as he continued speaking.

When Father finished talking, the entire room went quiet, and as I looked around, I noticed nearly everyone present sported the same helpless and defeated expression as Father; such a sight pained me since, as Royalty, it was also my duty to help the Kingdom thrive, yet all this time, I've been enjoying life while not realizing how dangerous our situation has devolved into.

"My King, Even if such a solution existed, what would be the best race to procreate with, what are the side effects for half-breeds, and most importantly, how would we implement it?" Asked Sage Lymph, his words slightly shocking everyone by how readily he agreed with the idea, but no one said anything, as most knew deep down in their hearts this was the best option.

"The most compatible race is the humans; besides the sea-folk, Elves and Humans are the most similar, and I have already captured nearly ten thousand human women over the past decades. Besides the half-breeds losing the mark of pure Elven blood, there haven't been any discovered side effects, but Sage Hok has said that a Half-breeds life-span is many times shorty than a pure Elf." Replied the King as he handed the little girl back to the guard, who then backed away.