Chapter 19: Partner for Life

Once its appearance finished changing, it started violently shaking before suddenly flying out of Great-grandmother's hand and heading directly toward me. However, the sword shot towards me blade first; I wasn't one bit nervous or scared, as I could somehow feel that the sword wouldn't harm me. When the blade was only a few inches in front of my face, it instantly stopped and just hovered there doing nothing, I didn't know exactly what to do, but I followed my instincts and reached my right hand forward.

Not even a second later, the sword turned around and placed its hilt on my hand; the moment I grabbed the sword, it again shook before settling down.

"Are swords, no, are weapons supposed to do this, Great-grandmother?" Asked Elif, not having a single idea of what had just occurred with his sword.

"Yes, but it usually doesn't happen that quickly, you see Elif, when you wield a specific weapon for a long enough time, it's possible to form a connection or bond with it; however, it usually takes years for a bond to form between you and your weapon, yet somehow that sword has completely bypassed the waiting time by using your as blood a substitute." Stated Celeste, surprised at the sword's abilities and even more impressed at the blacksmith who was capable of forging such an incredible sword.

"Isn't that a good thing, then?" Asked Elif, not entirely understanding the concept of bonding with his sword.

"Yes, it's a good thing; I've just never thought something like this is possible, that's all; however, now that you have a bonded weapon, you shouldn't treat it like a random object; it's only possible to be bonded with one weapon at a time as the already bonded weapon will stop any other weapons from forming a connection with you. So I would recommend treating it as a partner since it'll always be fighting battles alongside you in the future." Answered Celeste, giving Elif some weapon advice

"So, If I should treat it as a partner, shouldn't I give it a name because calling it just a sword doesn't sound that cool?" Asked Elif while looking down at the beautiful sword in his hands.

"That is up to you, but if you decide to, think carefully about it because if you constantly change the name, there would be no point in naming it in the first place. Anyways, here's a sheath to keep your partner in; it's made from a branch of the Erdtree, so it's incredibly durable and comfortable, and now that you've acquired your partner, it's time to leave, as those two children have just about finished as well." Stated Celeste as she picked up Elif into her arms before suddenly vanishing from the spot, with Illumia following right behind.

By the time I realized what had happened, we were already back outside. I could see the giant vault door in the midst of closing, and right in front of it, I could see father and mother walking toward us.

"Did you guys get me a lot of resources!" Yelled Elif asking his parents.

"Yes, we did, and we even got some for your new sword, Grandmother told us about; I must say, son, your luck is just plain ridiculous." Answered Marcus as he and Maria eyed the Ōdachi within Elifs hand still.

"Grandmother wasn't lying, you've really managed to form a connection with the sword within a couple of minutes of just holding it, yet it took me seven years to achieve the same thing. Is this what they say by life is unfair?" lamented Maria, though there was a smile adorned her face while looking at Elif before finally arriving near the group.

"Alright, here you go, Elif; this is all the resources we've collected for you and your partner." Said Marcus as he handed over a very exquisite purple ring to Elif, who looked at it with slight confusion.

"There must be something unique about this ring, right father?" Asked Elif in slight confusion as he inspected the purple ring.

"That right there is called a dimension ring. By engraving a rune or formation onto the ring, it creates a separate space attached to the object." Answered Maria, as she showed Elif her gold dimension ring that was placed on her ring finger.