Chapter 154: Down Memory Lane

After an hour of meditating to calm my rampaging emotions, I placed the book of Ancestral Records of the Royal Elves back in its original spot before returning my focus to the column of white light. As I had found what I had come here for, I contemplated whether to return to the palace or search through the various floating soul crystals. While I initially didn't have much desire for anything other than my objective, what Great-grandfather said had piqued my interest.

'Information that should never be allowed to the public; how would someone not be interested in that?' Thought Elaine calmly as he approached the column of white light filled with numerous soul crystals.

Standing before the white light, I was about to enter its domain when I stopped and thought back to what Great-grandfather had said.

'Since this column of white light is a piece of the Aether dimension, and the Aether dimension is the birth of the very first soul, doesn't that mean I should be able to use my soul instead of my physical body?' Pondered Elaine curiously as she retracted her hand mere inches away from the white light and sat down meditatively.

While I was confident in my theory, I still wished to test it out, so I calmed my mind and entered a tranquil state before I decided to project my soul out of my physical body. As I felt myself slowly escape my physical vessel for the first time, I was hit with a wave of freedom like never before; it was nearly too good to be true. Once I had completely vacated my body, I opened my eyes and looked upon my soul body.

"Hmm, it seems I subconsciously manifested the clothes I was wearing onto my soul." Muttered Elaine as she morphed her clothes into something different after a few failed attempts.

Other than everything feeling slightly different and the new sense of freedom, I didn't notice anything different than usual, though, since my soul wasn't inside my body, it was practically defenseless.

'Also, I'm not nearly as strong as usual without my physique.' Thought Elaine as she wordlessly attacked Maxim with a golden palm, who easily blocked it with his hand.

"Um, Your Highness?" Questioned Maxim with a raised eyebrow while eying the soul of Elaine.

"I was merely testing out the power of my soul as it's the first time I've ever projected my soul out of my body; I must say, while I enjoy this sense of freedom, it seems to come at quite the cost." Replied Elaine with a frown as she launched another golden palm at Maxim, who blocked it again.

"Ahh, yes; I know exactly what you're talking about, your Highness. For people like us, whose souls can't survive without a physical vessel, it's quite an exhilarating feeling of freedom, yet just like you said, it comes at a cost. An average cultivator would hardly notice a drop in power without their body; depending on the species, it may be different, but for someone incredibly talented like you, your Highness, that difference is like night and day." Stated Maxim with an understanding nod as he dusted his butler attire.

I couldn't agree with Maxim more; I had launched a normal attack, yet I noticed I was forced to use more Qi than usual. Not to mention, since I'm no longer using my physique, I've lost nearly all connections to the void, which in turn makes me much weaker than I already anticipated. If you add that alongside, I can't survive indefinitely in the OverRealm without returning to my body; I see no advantage to ever leaving the body.

'Well it's a good thing I learned of this now then in the future; it would've been very bad if I was forced to fight only using my soul for some reason.' Thought Elaine as she lightly shook her head before shifting her focus to the column of white light.

Anyways, now that I'm a soul, without hesitating, I entered the white light, stepping into the domain of the Aether Dimension, and unfortunately, I noticed no substantial change. I mean, other than sensing that my soul was no longer decaying, meaning I could most likely stay in this white light for as long as I wanted, there was nothing special about this strip of Aether Dimension.