Chapter 153: Room of Remembrance

As the three of us approached the door, Great-grandfather summoned an old-looking metal key from his dimension ring before touching the door with it, which slightly confused me as that wasn't how a key should work; however, what happened next made much more sense. With the end of the key touching the door, the door suddenly released several ripples from where the door and the key were connected; Great-grandfather then let go of the key, allowing the door to absorb it before an extremely complex formation glowed on the door's surface.

Once that was done, the door seemed to be unlocked as Great-grandfather pushed the door open and entered the room behind it; Maxim and I followed closely behind as well.

"For a door such as that to exist in the Royal Library, there must be some very essential information stored here; not even the door to the Elven Royal Cultivation Manual is this heavily guarded." Remarked Elaine while glancing at the now closed door with interest.

"You're not wrong; the cultivation manual, while probably the most important thing to us Royal Elves, Progniter Lourdes, has created the manual to only be usable by Royal Elves, so even if someone other than us got their hands on such a manual, it would be nearly worthless to them; that is why it is so poorly guarded, simply because we don't need to guard it." Stated Charles as he opened yet another door, though this time it was just a normal one, but it didn't lead to a normal room.

While passing through the door behind Great-grandfather, I saw what looked to be a massive column of white light that reached the ceiling; inside the column of white light were floating silver crystals. They were various sizes, but most were roughly slightly smaller than Great-grandfather.

"That's not what I was expecting; are those soul crystals, Great-grandfather? Also, that white light doesn't seem to be normal." Asked Elaine as she intently eyed the column while Maxim felt no different.

"You're much calmer than when I first showed Elif this, though I suppose, unlike you, Elif frequently visits the Royal Library, so he is pretty knowledgeable." Said Charles with a slight smirk as he took a little jab at Elaine, his words causing her to frown.

"I'm not stupid, Great-grandfather." Replied Elaine while eyeing Charles with an annoyed expression.

"Haha, I never called you stupid, Elaine; I merely said Elif knew more than you; there is nothing wrong with that; besides, he was older than you when he first came to the room of the Remembrance, so it's only reasonable for him to know more." Stated Charles with a slight chuckle, successfully easing Elaine's nerves.

"Hmph, anyways, Great-grandfather, what is that column of white light? It doesn't seem to belong here, in the OverRealm, I mean. It looks out of place." Remarked Elaine while trying to discern the properties of the column of white light.

Other than figuring out that the white light radiates an aura similar to that of souls, I returned empty-handed.

"Psionic Qi?" Muttered Elaine curiously as she looked at Charles for confirmation.

"You're correct, but to call it just Psionic Qi would be undermining that column of white light, as it's actually a piece of the Aether dimension. Long ago, during the Flourishing Epoch, on the order of Progniter Lourdes, two Grand-Ancestors went to the Aether dimension to rip a very piece from the dimension itself. Once they accomplished the mission, they returned here and infused the piece into the Erdtree, which was just a mere seedling back then." Stated Charles while eyeing the column of white light that gave off a serene and gentle aura.

"Aether dimension? I believe Brother informed me about that dimension; I remember him saying that after the creation of the OverRealm, the Aether dimension was birthed soon after, along with the Nether dimension." Mentioned Elaine while again looking at the column of white light, though this time with newfound appreciation.