Chapter 160: Triple Punishment, The Cauldron Burning

When I finished speaking, their eyes widened slightly; as if it was almost rehearsed, the three of them simultaneously kneeled before me with their heads down and silently stayed in that position.

"None of you have anything to say? No apologies or excuses?" Asked Elif calmly while eyeing them.

"Apologizing or creating excuses would not only be shameful, but it'll be shallow; we've made a mistake, your Highness, and I'm more than willing to repent for it by whatever you deem necessary." Said Idonea solemnly, feeling too ashamed at her actions to even look Elif in the eyes.

"Yes, as your servants, we are expected to be faithful and loyal to you, no matter the situation; yet, we couldn't even honor the basic requirements to be a proper servant. I'm deeply ashamed of my actions and am willing to do anything to acquire your forgiveness, your Highness." Added Marley seriously while biting her lip and clenching her fist in anger.

"As the Captain of your personal guards, appointed by their Majesties themselves, my actions are disgraceful and a stain to my reputation; whatever punishment you decide, I'll gladly accept it, even if you wish for me to kill myself." Stated Mandy, she too refused to look at Elif.

"If that's how you all really feel, why are you looking at the ground? Say all of that while looking me in the eyes, then maybe I'll forgive you, three." Declared Elif with a frown.

After some hesitation, the three of them finally lifted their heads and looked at me; however, besides Mandy, the other two refused to look me in the eyes, which slightly annoyed me as it felt like the two didn't truly mean what they said.

"What did I just say, Idonea and Marley? Why are neither of you looking me in the eyes? Do you either of you actually mean what you said?" Questioned Elif in slight annoyance while eyeing Marley and Idonea.

"W-We mean everything we said, your Highness; it's just, I'm too ashamed of myself to dare look you in the eyes." Replied Idonea, and although she looked at Elif, she couldn't bring herself to look him in the eyes.

"As mere servants, looking at you in your eyes is a privilege, something we don't deserve after our earlier actions." Said Marley, not even daring to look at Elif in general.

"Tch, I don't care how the two of you feel; as your Prince, my words are law, so either you look me in the eyes this instant, or I relieve you of your duty." Stated Elif seriously with a frown while tapping his finger on his knee.

It seemed like threatening their status as my followers were the trick, as they instantly looked me in the eyes, and when they did so, I was able to see the various emotions swirling about in their eyes, which were mainly shame, anger, and regret; quite surprising since I didn't spot any form of lust or desire in Marley's eyes.

"So, now that the three of you are looking at me, inform me what type of punishment you think you should receive?" Asked Elif with a raised eyebrow as he waited for their answer.

While the three of them were pondering on what type of punishment they should receive, I started talking with Illumia, curious about her take on the matter, as she was the only one who didn't doubt me, though that could've been because at that time there was no one powerful enough to force her to do anything; while Kalen might've been Illumia's equal, he still wouldn't have been able to force her.

'What type of punishment do you think they should get, Illumia? I'm sure you have plenty of experience in the matter.' Asked Elif via divine sense while resting his head on his fist.

'If you're insinuating that I've been punished many times before, then you're wrong; however, while what those three did wasn't too serious, unlike most princes or young masters, you're very lenient toward you're servants. While there isn't anything wrong with that per se, it may give them the idea that you're a pushover; granted, even if you were never to punish them, I doubt that would happen given who your servants are, but the future is unknown.' Replied Illumia via divine sense, pausing to allow Elif to digest her words.