Chapter 191: Collapse Of The Portal

(Note: I fixed the chapter previous to this one, sorry about that)

Dodging the claw swipe of a large monster that resembled a Tree Bear, I counterattacked by slicing Hokori through its large arm before ruthlessly decapitating it, causing its large frame to fall lifelessly into the horde of monsters below, who, without a second thought, tore right through its body in a matter of seconds, though it wasn't like they could think to begin with.

'My goodness, now I know how Idonea and Marley felt; there is truly no end to them. Every time I kill one of them, two more will take its place, not to mention, as time goes on, they continue to get stronger.' Thought Elif with a dignified expression as he quickly unleashed an onslaught of heavenly scars toward an approaching wave of monsters, cutting right through them and the unfortunate monsters who happened to be behind them with ease.

I don't know exactly how long I've been fighting since my entire focus has been on protecting Elaine and stopping any monster that tries to approach her, which so happens to be about every single monster I end up facing. However, although slight, I could feel exhaustion start to set in while my Qi reserves were about half full; adding those two together, I presume it's been at least a day, maybe a little less.

Either way, it didn't really matter how long it's been; what mattered was destroying the formation that was connected to the portal, which Elaine has been working on the entire time I've been protecting her. Of course, considering the description Elaine gave about the formation, one would assume this should've been over with quickly, but it seems like our luck has expired; how could things be so easy? After all, whoever conducted this assault knew they were attacking the Elven Empire, so of course, it shouldn't be this easy, but that doesn't mean it's any less annoying.

Looking to the right, I spotted a sneaky little rat-like monster trying to stealthily get past me, though given my experience in dealing with stealthy opponents, mainly Elaine, it would have to do better than that if it wished to evade my senses. Smashing the monster before me with a purple palm, I pointed my sword at the small monster and injected Qi into Hokori while converging it toward the tip before compressing it and then finally releasing it as a dense purple beam,

'Gyakusatsu.' Thought Elif as his compressed purple beam traveled and pierced through many monsters before finally hitting the small rat-like monster, blasting a large hole through its entire body.

'Elaine, I know I've asked this not too long ago, but how are things going? Please tell me you've made progress.' Asked Elif via divine sense as he engaged in battle about a kilometer away from Elaine, who was intently working on destroying the formation.

'I'd love to give you positive news, Brother, but unfortunately, while I'm making progress, it's too slow; this isn't just an adaptable formation but a dual formation as well. One is working as a beacon and a stabilizer for the portal to the Nether dimension, just as I said before, while the second is a defensive formation meant to repair the first formation. This wouldn't have been so bad if we had arrived earlier, but with the current strength of the formation, I'm barely able to deal enough damage to offset the second formation, yet the gap is closing by the minute; eventually, the first formation will heal faster than I can damage it.' Stated Elaine via divine sense with an ugly expression while using Orcus as she attacked the ethereal formation nonstop, which was covered in various cracks.

'I'm assuming you've tried targeting the second formation first?' Asked Elif via divine sense with a frown as he launched a large purple palm into the horde of monsters before clenching his hand, causing it to inflate before exploding, catching even more monsters in the radius.

'Yes, when I first realized this was a dual formation, I focused on destroying the second formation first; however, the second formation is engraved into the first formation. So if I want to destroy the second formation, I'll first need to destroy the main one, and that's where the problem lies, Brother.' Replied Elaine via divine sense as she released a devastating attack onto the ethereal formation, causing it to tremble while numerous cracks emerged intensely, but just as quickly as they formed, the second formation began mending them.