Chapter 107: Elif's boredom

"Haa, I need to stop getting my hopes up. Such a disappointment." Muttered Elif with a frown while looking out the carriage window into the peaceful forest below.

"Your Highness, it's merely been four hours since we left the Empire; please have some patience." Advised Illumia calmly while sitting across from Elif.

"Four hours of utter disappointment. All we've been doing is flying over patches of forests; I've barely even seen a single cultivator, let alone anything interesting." Said Elif dejectedly before shifting his focus to the interior of the carriage.

"Since you wish for something interesting to happen, your Highness, why not make a detour and stop by an independent city on the way there? It may not be what you wish for, but it might be able to appease your boredom, at least until we arrive at the Fairy Clan's territory." Stated Marley, who was sitting in between Idonea and Illumia.

"I suppose it won't be a terrible idea; it should at least bring more entertainment than the plains, mountains, and forests down below." Replied Elif with minimal expectations.

'Zulo, Zala; change of plans, head towards the nearest independent city.' Ordered Elif via divine sense.

With Zulo and Zala both neighing in response, the carriage's direction slightly shifts to the left; now, instead of heading north, we are traveling northwest.

Even though we changed directions, nothing caught my interest, at least for the first twenty minutes; after about twenty-two minutes, I began sensing an increase of cultivators presiding in the forest below, and as we continued heading in said direction, the number of cultivators would continue to increase until I was sensing several cultivators at once through my divine sense.

Roughly a minute or two later, the carriage began slowing down and descending as a lively city entered my divine sense.

'It's approximately a third the size of Yggdrasil; from my understanding, that is slightly bigger than average for an independent city, and not to mention it is much more chaotic from the lack of proper guards.' Thought Elif as he examined the city with his divine sense while avoiding areas that powerful cultivators presided over; not like Elif was scared of provoking them, he just didn't find it worth his time to interact with them.

Once the carriage landed, we ignored the line of people waiting to be given access to the city and walked right to the front gates, which seemed to be managed by a couple of incompetent guards that were extorting the commoners.

"Hehe, c'mon brother, I'm sure an extra fifteen low Earth rank spirit stones will be enough to be allowed access, right?" Said a beast man with scales covering his body while happily talking to the guards, though the pained expression on his face would suggest otherwise.

"Hmm, I don't know, fifteen might not be enough. How about adding an-" Said the short and stout guard with a greedy smile until he noticed a carriage skipping the line. While he was about to dutifully do his job and tell the carriage to get in line, he instead saw this as a chance to possibly get more spirit stones, though because of his short stature, he wasn't able to make out the horns atop the horses properly; otherwise, he would already be bowing.

"You! Stop right there! Skipping the line is not allowed here! Don't you know you could be heavily punished for your actions If I report you!?" Exclaimed the short and stout guard with a serious expression as he stood in front of the carriage, stopping it from entering the city.

"Hmm, don't you know who I am?" Remarked Elif with slight surprise, as it wasn't like he was hiding his identity; in fact, the two unicorns pulling the carriage and several royal guards following it should've been more than enough for anyone to realize who was inside the carriage, and if that wasn't enough, on the front of the carriage was the symbol of the Immortal Elven Empire.

Elven LegacyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara