Tauriel- Runestone (c)

You hadn't left your room for the month since the messenger arrived. You had always known the possibility of them not coming back, but really you never thought that'd be true.

In the last month the pain hadn't stopped. Knowing you had lost both of your brothers and your uncle, life felt too painful to live. You cried all day every day, with an emptiness in your heart from the loss of the three men of your life.

Your brothers had been your best friends since you were children and you loved them so dearly, which meant the pain was unbearable.

Everyone came and gave you their condolences, from those in the company to people in your town that you hadn't spoken to before. It started off nice for people's concerns for you but now everyone just pitied you.

Your Mother had left to go to Erebor. You were next in line for the throne, even though it was rare to see a female on the throne as anything other than a Queen through marriage. Just due to your grieving she had gone to cover for you for now. You hadn't been trained to be Queen, but your Mother knew how to.

She was equally grieving if not more so but she was able to handle it a lot better than you were. She didn't want to leave you here, but you were using your home to hold the memories in. You wore any of your brothers clothing that they had left, as it still smelt of them and it comforted you.

Today you planned to lie on one of your brother's beds and cry, but a knock at the door forced you out of your pit.

You walked to the door and opened it, whilst attempting to wipe away your tears. As you opened the door it revealed a red headed elf. You narrowed your eyes wondering whether it was a tearful hallucination.

"Hello," you whispered.

"Are you Dis?" she asked.

"That's my Mother. I'm Y/N. She's not home at the moment, she went to Erebor, and I don't think she is coming back," you explained.

She frowned softly, giving you a look of pity.

"So your brother was Kili?" she questioned.

"He still is my brother, he may be dead but he'll always be my brother," you whispered.

"I apologise. I didn't mean any offence by it. I knew your brother we met in Mirkwood, not under the best circumstances mind you, but we were... friend's par say," she stated.

"I'm guessing Thorin wasn't happy about you being friends," you frowned.

"No he certainly wasn't. But we met when he was in a cell in the dungeon and he showed me something your Mother gave him," she said with a soft smile, "When he died he was holding it, I wanted to bring it back to you in person. It was a promise that he would come home, so if he couldn't come home, the runestone should."

She held out the small runestone that my Mother had given Kili to promise he would come home.

"You were more than friends weren't you?" you asked holding the cold stone.

"What do you mean?" she questioned.

"He wouldn't have let an elf know of the reasons for carrying the runestone, unless he cared for you. He loved you," you whispered, "I know my brothers."

She smiled softly.

"I don't know whether he loved me, but I believe he cared for me. I cared for him," she said softly.

"I didn't catch your name."

"I'm Tauriel."

"Would you like to come in Tauriel?"

~*~

Written by Charlotte Stemp.