Bilbo Baggins- Stay (c)

"Where do you think you're going?"

Bofur's voice woke you up. You looked over to where he was stood. He was stood with Bilbo, who looked as if he was about to leave.

Confused and curious you stood up, slipping out of your bed roll. It took you a moment to keep your footing as you tried to walk around all of the snoring dwarves. You stumbled past them all until you reached the dwarf and hobbit. You rested an arm on the dwarf's shoulder using him to keep your tired form from collapsing onto the cold floor.

"What is going on?" you whispered.

"Bilbo want's to leave," Bofur explained, "Bilbo we know you're homesick, we understand."

"No, you don't, you don't understand! None of you do- you're dwarves. You used to- to this life, to living on the road, never settling in one place, no belonging anywhere."

Personally the words didn't hurt you. You weren't a dwarf, but you were offended for your friends and you were sure Bofur was offended by his words.

"I am sorry, I didn't..." Bilbo tried to explain but Bofur cut him off.

"No, you're right. We don't belong anywhere. I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do," he sighed.

You gave both of them a pitiful smile.

"Look Bilbo. I have a home, I have a loving family, I have friends but I am still here. I've almost been killed by orcs, wargs and trolls, but I'm sticking it out for the long run. They are all here because it is their rightful kingdom and they want it back, I don't have that incentive. I am scared, I am cold and I want to cry, but I'm not going to leave. Thorin may act like he hates you, well he probably does, but he needs your help. He doesn't want us here, we aren't dwarves, but he needs all the help he can get," you smiled softly, "I know this is not what you would expect, you have adventures in your books and then you have this. You could die at any moment, I could die at any moment. But think about it, why did you agree to come in the first place. It is an adventure, and the moral reward is worth it. Knowing I had some form of part in getting Thorin his kingdom back, makes me happy.

"I may have a family and friends back at home, but these guys are my family too now. I love them, and I want you to be part of this family. But if you really can't do it, then you can leave. None of us will stop you, but know we care about you. When you fell during the fight with the stone giants, they could have let you fall and die. But they didn't. They protected you. Whether you want to be or not, you are part of the company."

Bofur smiled up at you wrapping an arm around you in a side hug, resting his head on your side.

"Believe me, this time last year I never thought I would be hugging a dwarf, let alone feel remotely accepted by them all and be travelling with them to reclaim a kingdom that is currently the home of a dragon," you sighed softly.

Bilbo looked slightly confused.

"Why are you here Y/N?" he asked.

"I don't know. I joined because I wanted an adventure. My first day travelling with Fili and Kili, I fell into a ravine, I was scared and I didn't know what I was supposed to do as I didn't want to turn back but I certainly didn't want to continue on. But they encouraged me. Now I don't want to turn back, I would love to have my warm bed, and see my parents but I've come too far to chicken out. I never thought I'd be able to fight and survive this long. I don't want to die, but dying in the name of this quest would be a good way to go. I'm not letting them go on without me. Think about it, they'd be a complete wreck without me," you grinned rubbing Bofur's shoulder.

The dwarf chuckled as the hobbit smiled softly.

"So you staying Master Baggins, or would you like me to escort you back to Rivendell, we can get there before sunset tomorrow," you stated.

"I'll stay."

You smiled triumphantly.

"Now get to sleep, we could all use it."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.