Fili- Anon (c)

You rolled your eyes at the unwanted attention from the dwarf sat at the bar. Placing his tankard down, you continued the conversation, knowing he was one of your best customers meaning you couldn't be rude to him or you would lose a lot of money.

Luckily your conversation was forcibly cut short through you going to see another customer. You excused yourself from the conversation with the patron that seemed to see it necessary to flirt with you.

Going over to the blond dwarf, your fake smile softened into a natural one that you had shown the dwarf on many occasion.

"Hello Fili," You smiled warmly, "The usual?"

He made a grunting noise that you weren't sure what it meant nor did you knowing you deserved it.

"What's wrong?" You asked leaning against the bar to be closer to him.

"Nothing," He said in the same gruff tone.

Your eyebrows furrowed together as you looked at the blond dwarf. Everyone here knew he was the Prince but no one treated him any different from any of the other dwarves that walked through the door. This was equal ground. In recent months he had arrived at the bar more often, which seemed odd to you seen as he was a prince and could afford much better than the dimly lit pub you worked at.

"Don't lie to me Fee," You stated, "Somethings up."

He looked up, allowing your gazes to connect.

"It doesn't matter now, I was being hopeful, it was juvenile and idiotic. Do not worry," He sighed.

You gave him a pitiful smile, reaching your hand out to touch his arm that rested on the bar.

"I don't understand," You said slightly confused.

"You. Y/N. You held my heart and I now realise how stupid that was of me to think. You are with that dwarf. I'm sorry I've spoken out of line," He said looking defeated.

He went to leave but you called after him running around the bar.

Since you had first met the dwarf, you felt strongly for him, but you could never admit these feelings to him. He was the prince of Erebor, whereas you were only a barmaid, nothing could ever come from that. It was implausible.

You grabbed onto his arm.

"What do you mean? You cannot mean you have feelings for me."

"I care dearly for you, love you even. Do not emphasis the humour of my emotions," He frowned.

"I do not find them humorous. They are reassuring really. I feel deeply for you Fili, I just never felt that I should tell you about them as we can never be."

He looked confused. It took him a moment or two before he spoke again.

"But who was that dwarf? You seemed happy with him, and he certainly appreciated your company," He stated.

"He was merely a customer. I cannot deny he probably did appreciate my company, as he seemed it apt to flirt with me even though all I have done is serve him what he orders. But I do not care for him. I do not know him. Although I do not know you as well as I would like to know you," You smiled softly.

"Are you being sincere?" He questioned, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

You nodded.

"I do care for you Fili. But you are a prince, we are not to be together, your uncle would not approve, I am from a poor family. No one in Erebor would accept the future king courting a bar maid," You sighed in defeat.

He took hold of your hand.

"Do not worry. Granted my uncle will not be happy, but I do not really remember a time when he was happy. Even when we reclaimed Erebor he was still quite grumpy about it. Even if he is not happy, he values my happiness, and I am certain you will bring me happiness," He smiled, "Please give this a chance. If I do not make you as happy as I wish to, I will not force you to continue a relationship, but I do wish to do see if this could work."

You couldn't deny the handsome prince. Although it could end in heartbreak, you are willingly to give it a shot.

~*~

Written by Charlotte

Requested by Anon on Tumblr.