Bard- More Than Friends (c)

Being a single childless woman in Laketown it wasn't of the highest standing roles you could have, no matter what job you took on people still saw you as questionable. It was supposedly incorrect to not be wed and bear children even at a fairly young age. Minus the social stipulation of you being an old maid, you were relatively happy with how you were. Even if you were unlikely to ever marry, you had friends and that was more important to you than anything else.

Seen as you technically had little to no important responsibilities, anyone that actually trusted you knew that you were able to help in any way you could. Today you had been greeted at your door by your friend Bard asking frantically if you were able to take care of his youngest daughter. It wasn't the first time you had babysat Tilda, on multiple occasions you had watched over her and her siblings.

Bard explained that he needed to go to work and would usually be fine with leaving Sigrid to watch the younger two, however she had to take Bain to the healer and he didn't wish to send Tilda along too. Of course, you were happy to take care of the youngest child, she was a lovely girl and you enjoyed having her optimistic company.

Your day was uneventful. You had made lunch for the two of you and also started preparation for their family dinner, knowing it would be unfair to expect Sigrid to cook when she returned home.

"Y/N?" Tilda said, taking a seat on the wooden bench in the kitchen, observing you cooking.

"Yes, dear?" You smiled looking over your shoulder.

"Do you like da?"

You placed the lid on the pot to let the food to continue cook whilst you turned your attention to the small girl sat at the table.

"Of course I like your father. He is one of my closest friends," you commented warmly.

It wasn't as though you were content just being his friend though. You had cared much more for Bard than you had ever expected to but you certainly knew he could never like you in return. Before her untimely death, you knew how dearly he loved his wife and now all of his attention was on his children and doing what was right by them.

"No. Do you like him?" She grinned.

"What would make you suggest such a thing?" You laughed trying to not make it obvious of your true feelings.

Her smile grew as she looked at you. "He cares for you and I am sure you feel the same."

You shook your head, trying not to feel bad for lying to a child.

"Nonsense, we are only friends."

"Is that so?" A male voice called from the doorway.

Both of your attention snapped to the door to see the man whom you had just been talking about.

"Bard?" You smiled awkwardly.

Tilda jumped from her seat to wrap her arms around her father the best she could.

"Da!" She squealed.

"Hello my love. Why don't you run and wash your hands before the splendid dinner Y/N is preparing?" He offered.

Tilda gave you a knowing smile before making her way to the small bathroom to give you time alone with her father.

"How was work?" You questioned trying to be polite.

"It was fine. Thank you for taking care of Tilda, but I am rather intrigued by the conversation I walked in on," he smiled.

"It was my pleasure. Oh, it wasn't anything important. Tilda has got some idea that you care for me," you laughed. "I'm sure it is just her overactive imagination."

He took a step closer to you, a coy smile curving to his lips.

"What if it wasn't her imagination?" He asked.

"Pardon?"

"Well they all see you as almost a mother figure as you are the only one they have known since my wife passed. And I honestly never believed I could care for another woman how I loved her, but I was proven wrong when I met you. I certainly see you as more than a friend, but I definitely don't want to ruin our friendship if you don't see me the same," he said softly.

"Are you being serious?" You grinned trying not to get too hopeful if it wasn't correct.

He didn't say anything, rather rested a hand against your cheek, leaning in to press a loving kiss to your lips, proving that your feelings were requited.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.