Bilbo Baggins- Making Friends (c)

"I don't like you, or trust you, or even care about you. But she does, so I'm going to listen to you, and follow you, and hope to hell you know what you're doing. Because if you don't, we're both going to die."

Overhearing your hobbit love speak to one of your closest friends in such a manner was a shock. Bilbo had always been very well spoken and never seemed to cause offence and he certainly never spoke up to Thorin.

The dwarf seemed slightly taken back by the Hobbit's outburst but his expression calmed instantly as he composed himself.

"Master Baggins. I do not see what Y/N sees in you, I questioned her affections for you, but she loves you no matter my opinion of you. I think it would be best for the both of us as well as for Y/N, if we were civil to one another. Neither of us may enjoy the others company, but we can survive being around one another for her sake," Thorin stated.

You couldn't see Bilbo's expression but you saw his shoulders relax.

"I agree. I also do not understand her fondness of you, but you are her best friend. I love Y/N, and if that means I have to get along with you, then I guess I can get along with you," Bilbo said in his usual soft tone.

Even though you tried to fight it, you couldn't help the smile creep onto your face as you saw your boyfriend and best friend talking. Granted you knew no matter how you tried they would forever not get along but at least now they were agreeing to get along for your sake.

You left your hiding spot and walked over to the pair. You rested a hand on Bilbo's shoulder, leaning down and kissing his cheek.

"Hello," you smiled.

"Hello Y/N," the pair said in response.

"What have you two been speaking about? You rarely ever speak to one another," you stated attempting to get them to speak about what you had already heard.

The two of them looked at each other before looking back at you.

"We were talking about you," Thorin said.

"We both care for you, in different ways obviously, but neither of us want to see you hurt. We've both seen how us disagreeing affects you, so we decided we'd try to get along. We will probably never be friends or be completely happy in each other's company but we can at the very least get along for you," Bilbo smiled.

You couldn't help your smile grow as you pulled Bilbo into a hug kissing his lips. As soon as you pulled away you wrapped your arms around Thorin.

"Thank you guys. I love you both, and I couldn't imagine my life without either of you in it. You are so amazing and I understand you despise each other but I'm glad you at least get along with each other for me," You smiled in return, "But even when I'm not there, I am getting everyone else to keep their eyes on you also to make sure you don't throttle each other when I am not there."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.