Thorin Oakenshield- For a Human (c)

You and Thorin had been separated from the rest of the company and were left to travel together alone until you could meet up with the rest of the dwarves. It wasn't overly pleasant, he didn't really want you in the company at first as you were human rather than a dwarf, but he had become nicer as the journey continued.

It was getting later and you decided it was for the best to start making camp. He went to get some wood for the fire whilst you began to prepare food, ready to cook when there were flames to cook on.

He came back and set up the fire before sitting down, by the flames, leaving you to cook. You stirred the soup over the growing heat, letting your eyes shift to look at Thorin. He was looking at you with a soft smile on his face.

"Why are you smiling? I worry when you smile like that."

Thorin rarely showed emotion other than anger and disgust. When he did smile, it was never a good thing. Although you hadn't known him for long, you had learnt that piece of information.

"No reason," he stated gruffly looking down at the floor.

"No, there is a reason isn't there? Why were you smiling at me?" you questioned.

"I was just thinking. Don't worry," he stated.

You took the pot off of the flames resting it on the floor before disregarding it turning to the stubborn dwarf.

"What about?"

"Y/N," he said in a warning tone.

Standing up from your seat on the floor you stepped closer to him.

He stood up also trying to look remotely intimidating you were a lot taller than him.

"Thorin."

"You're stubborn," he grunted.

"So are you," you shrugged, "I'm just interested about what you think about, who knows what goes through your royal head."

He looked up at you and frowned. He let out a sigh.

"I was thinking about how surprisingly beautiful you are, for a human of course."

Your heart fluttered, and your smile softened.

"You think I'm beautiful?" You smiled.

"For a human," he stated.

"Well Thorin. You are very handsome," you chuckled, "for a dwarf."

"I should never have told you. You're just going to make a joke out of it," he frowned, "Do not mention a word to my company."

He went to storm off, but you grabbed his arm.

"I'm sorry. I won't mention it. But I don't see it as a joke. Thank you, it was nice to hear, you don't compliment people very often," you smiled softly, "I never thought I could enjoy being around you, but you aren't completely heartless."

He raised an eyebrow.

"What does that mean?"

"I like you Thorin, have done for a while, even though it seems like the most bizarre thing in the world. But none of this has exactly been what I expected."

His smile grew.

"This isn't right and you know it. No one would take the king seriously if he were with a human," he sighed.

"Believe me Thorin, no one would ever go against you. When you reclaim Erebor, you will be a hero, and story that people will tell for generations. No one will care who you are with. But I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Who knows if we do try to be together, we may end up killing each other, you are intolerable. But I like you nevertheless," You stated.

"You are very peculiar," he sighed, "for a human."

You laughed, bending down slightly, pressing your lips to his cheek.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.