Steve Rogers x Reader

Getting kidnapped by Hydra wasn't originally on your agenda today; but you should be used to the fact that nothing ever goes as you planned.
You were told your mission would be easy, in and out; quick. Oh, how they so were wrong. You were supposed to be infiltrating an empty Hydra base to gather information, but it was the exact opposite of empty. You were unprepared, so you were easily overwhelmed by the Hydra agents you encountered, causing you to be taken hostage.
You were taken to a small room that smelled of dead rats and something akin to sewer water. The only light in the room was in the corner shining over an elevated, concrete table. The men who were restraining you threw you onto the table and moved quickly to strap your arms, legs and waist so you couldn't move. They left shortly after, slamming the door behind them, leaving you alone to struggle against the restraints.
It wasn't long before you heard the creak of the door opening once again. You struggled to lift your head to see who had joined you, but it was too dark in the room. You could only see a few feet in front of you.
You heard a few heavy footsteps before whoever had entered the room was standing in the light, next to the table, you now being able to see him. His hair was messy and dark and he was probably in his forties, maybe fifties, you weren't really worried about his age at the moment. He was wearing a tattered lab coat, typical, and his eyes, they looked soulless and dull to you.
It was almost as if he was waiting for you to speak first, but you stayed silent, forcing him to break the ice first with, "It's nice to finally meet you. Do you know why you are here?"
"I might have a few guesses, considering how your agent treated me." You responded bluntly, referring to the fact that you were strapped to a table. You didn't want to show him the fear hidden inside you so, as usual, you masked it with sarcasm and blunt sentences.
The man pulled a chair to the side of the table and sat down on it backwards, resting his arms on the back of the chair, "You are here to help me. Give me information... about the Avengers."
You looked at him with a raised eyebrow, "Do I look like a public library to you?" You spat at him and the man looked surprised at your sarcastic tone considering you were strapped down to a table.
"No, you do not. I am aware getting information from you will be difficult, but I have many tactics planned. We are going to have a lot of fun, you and I." He smiled slyly.

"I ain't telling you shit."
"You may say that now, but when I am done with you, you may think otherwise, Y/N."
You were silent at his statement. You were surprised when he spoke your name, but you shouldn't have been. Your identity was hidden when you joined the Avengers, only Fury and the team knew your real name. This man knowing your name gave you evidence that he had been researching you and most likely planning this for a while.

Your eyes narrowed at him, "Go to hell."

He smirked at your remark and responded, "I'll meet you there, sweetheart."
You didn't respond as he turned around and rummaged through multiple drawers on the other side of the room. He hummed as he worked, you heard multiple clicking and screwing noises before he turned back around to face you. He was holding a needle with an orange liquid inside.
He stared at you for a moment and you asked him, "What's that got to do with me telling you anything?"
"I'm very glad you asked," He stood up from the chair, walking towards you, "It's a mix of chemicals that affect the prefrontal cortex of the brain, the area that is in control of logic, judgement and expressions of emotion. It's a slow process and you will have to be injected multiple times before it completely affects your brain. But then, you will be able to tell me anything that I ask of you, because your brain will simply not know why you shouldn't."
Shit, you thought to yourself. Sure you had been tortured for information before, but it was always physically, not mentally. This was something completely out of the ballpark of your experience.
It wasn't long until you felt the needle poke into your inner elbow. There was no use in struggling, you couldn't get out of the restraints. You could feel the serum enter your veins and it almost burned as you felt it travel through your body and up to your brain. Your head started to pound unbearably painful and you wanted to scream but all you did was grit your teeth.
You could hear the man chuckle above you as you tried to suppress the pain you felt. Your eyes started to go blurry as your legs and arms felt like led and it wasn't long until you passed out from the pain, your head slowly lolling to the side.
When you woke from your unexpected nap, pain rattled through your body and your head was pounding. You could feel the bruise that was forming in your inner elbow where you had been injected with the serum.
You grunted as you automatically tried to sit up but you were stopped by the restraints holding you. You raised your head up as far as you could and you squinted to look about the room. There was no one there, so this was your chance to try and get loose of these straps.
Before you could even try to squeeze one of your hands through the straps, the door in front of you opened, the same man from before entering the room.
He had an angry and frustrated look in his eyes as he stepped towards you hastily. Your eyes furrowed together in surprise and confusion when he started to remove the restraints from your arms and legs. Once you were free, the man threw you to the ground forcefully. You felt as if it was the perfect moment to try and escape, but the serum was causing you to be legarthic.
Before you were able to try to stand up or speak the man kicked you in the stomach, hard, causing you to lose your breathe for a moment.
He didn't say anything to you so you tried to make it seem as if the serum, or the blow to your stomach, wasn't affecting you so you asked, "Is this your first time torturing for information?"
He kicked you again in the gut, ignoring your question and asking again, "Information. Avengers. Now."
Once you caught your breath you muttered quickly, "Steve can't do his own laundry. Thor still doesn't know how to use a cellphone. Tony can't apologize to save his life. Bruce-" You were cut off by another blow to your gut.
"You're one hell of a smartass."
"You didn't specify what kind of information." You smugly tried to smile sarcastically at him from your position on the floor, your hand covering your injured torso.
The man didn't respond, but only reached down to grab your arm and yanked you up to your feet, causing your head to pound more harshly from the change of your blood pressure. You stumbled as he pulled you up and slammed you back onto the table.
"If you resist, Y/N, it will only make it hurt more."
"I don't care how many chemicals you pump into my system, I am not giving you any information on my friends!" You angrily spat.
He looked at you dead in the eye and responded, "Well, your friends, you see, they aren't here. They haven't come to look for you yet, to save you. They aren't coming for you, Y/N. They probably don't even realize you're gone. You're just a burden to them. They're glad that you're gone."
You froze at his words, them sinking into your skull. It had been days, maybe even weeks, and you had no sign that your friends, your teammates, where even looking for you. They had to be looking for you right? They had to be. He was just trying to mess with your head. Or maybe they weren't looking for you. You were always the odd one out in the team, maybe they are glad you are gone.
Your thoughts were cut short by a painful prick in your inner elbow and you tried to slink away from the pain but you couldn't move. Only one thought remained in your head before you could feel the pain in your head grow stronger and your eyesight slowly disappearing once again.
Maybe they are glad that you're gone.
"Stark, did you find Y/N?" Steve asked as he speed walked towards Tony who had just arrived back from a solo mission. Fortunately, Fury contacted him to terminate the mission and change his focus on to finding you after you had gone missing on your last mission; two weeks ago.
But, when Steve came closer and saw that you were nowhere to be found his face transformed from excitement to concern to disappointment. His shoulders visibly dropped and a defeated and frustrated sigh escaped his lips.
"I covered the entire area. No heat signatures, no movement, nothing. There was no sign of Y/N anywhere." Tony replied to Steve's question.
Steve was hoping to stay calm but something in him snapped when he knew that you were still out there, "Well it obviously wasn't enough! If you were still out there or if I was, maybe we would have found her by now!" Steve's hostility was growing and he stepped closer to Tony who was trying to keep his cool and not break into a fight.
"I did all that I could. You think that her disappearance isn't affecting me? You weren't her only friend, this is hurting me just as much as you!" Tony's voice rose as he spoke.
"There had to of been some kind of trace of where Y/N is. There has to be at least one piece of good news you could tell me!" Steve retorted back to Tony.
Tony took one step closer to Steve, only two feet standing between the two arguing men's chests, "I didn't find her body. That good enough for you?"
Steve's anger was boiling higher and higher and suddenly moved forward to give Tony a forceful push backward a few feet, "No! It's not! You don't know what Hydra could be doing to her right now. She might not even be the same Y/N we knew before because we might be too late! She might not even remember us! She might..." His voice quieted at the end of his sentence.
Tony, not taken aback by the push, pointed his finger at Steve, "I know you need someone to blame for this, but I'm not the person for that. You know that."
Steve and Tony's squabble was interrupted by Natasha coming into the room, "You two need to step back. We're going to find Y/N we just need a new plan."
Steve stepped away from Tony and bluntly said, "I got a new plan. I go. Alone."
Natasha turned to him, "Steve, you can't go alone."
Steve ignored her glare, turned around and walked to the desk that his shield was lying on. He grabbed it and turned back around, securing the shield to his back and sighed, "I know you're not going to let me leave alone." He motioned for Natasha to follow him to the quinjet, leaving Tony behind.
It wasn't long until the quinjet left the Avengers tower, off to find Y/N.
You had no concept of time as you were still being held captive. Had it been days? Weeks? You didn't know. You were losing hope that you would ever be found. They had to be looking for you right? Steve had to be looking for you, right? Tony? Natasha?
You had been moved from the room with the table and straps to a jail cell looking place. You sat on the cold, hard ground, your head resting on the wall behind you, your hands resting in your lap secured together with zipties.
You were never alone for long, you had been injected with the serum four times now and you still hadn't cracked. The fourth time you were injected with the serum the man's assistant, who randomly showed up, forgot to tighten your restraints so you tried to escape. But, that only resulted in a bruised eye, slit eyebrow and possible a broken wrist.
You were an agent. Hell, you were and Avenger. You didn't know why you couldn't escape the two men who were holding you captive. They were pretty shitty interrogators.
You weren't left alone for long, for the two men came and pried you off the cold concrete floor and back onto the table again. You were running out of energy so when they picked you up you slumped and they had to drag you to the table and strap you on.
You lazily looked up at the ceiling as you were now back on the table and you could hear the man rummaging through the drawer again to prepare for another injection.
"They're all coming. And when they get to you they're going to blow your brains out." You whispered; but you weren't sure if you were trying to threaten the men or if you were trying to convince yourself that your friends were coming for you.
"You don't know when to shut up, do you?"
"Nope."
He kneeled down next to you "I'm going to love seeing their faces when they see you. When they realize you betrayed them."
With the last of your energy you spit in his face and before he could even react a loud boom resonated throughout the room, shaking the walls. You looked around frantically as the two men jumped up and looked at each other, almost as if they were speaking with their eyes.
The man who had been quiet the whole time you had been captured asked the other, "Should I ready the explosives?"
The man still hovering above you waved his arm forcefully to direct the other man to go and then turned back to you, "Sadly our fun is being cut short. If I can't have information from you. The Avengers can't have you either." He was referring to the explosives that was talked about briefly earlier.
You were ignoring him though, all you were thinking about was that your friends were here to get you. Or at least it had to be them. Who else would it be?
It was starting to finally sink into your skull that the plan B of the two Hydra agents was to blow the base up with you inside. You struggled with the last bit of your energy against the straps. You didn't want to die. Not today.
The man moved over you and started to unstrap you from the table and pulled you off and started to drag you away. You didn't know where he was taking you so you kicked as hard as you could, but you couldn't move. His hands were tightly wrapped around your wrists and the best thing you thought of doing was biting down on his flesh.
On instinct he yelled in pain and immediately let go and you were able to slip out of his grasp. You tumbled to the other side of the room, trying to conserve any, if any, strength you had left. The man looked up almost immediately and lunged forward towards you, trying to grab you once again. You were able to fling your body the other way and with luck on your side, the man tripped. You took this as your chance to try and run away but the adrenaline coursing through your veins was making you weaker than you already were.
You were panting heavily by the time you had only ran a few strides and the man close behind you was already up on his feet. You were able to run out of the room but the man tackled you into the room across and you both crashed into a medical stand. He was on top of you before you knew what was happening and he grabbed you by the front of your shirt and punched you in the face.
The only thing you could think of to do was knee him in the nuts; and it worked. He rolled partially off you enough to shove him away and you stood up as quickly as you could. Your fear and anger was what gave you enough energy to kick him once in the gut but then you were stopped in your tracks.
A loud gunshot echoed throughout the room and you froze, feeling a hot tingling feeling in your chest. You looked toward towards your tattered shirt and you could see the blood seeping through and you took in a shaky breath. You looked back up to see the other man standing in the doorway, pointing a gun at you. You were starting to feel dizzy and it wasn't long until you collapsed onto the floor, your eyes rolling back into your head and out again.
You didn't remember what happened next because your vision and hearing were impaired for what seemed like an eternity as you layed sprawled across the floor. Your arms were getting weaker by the passing minute and it was harder to breathe with every breath you took. You were going to die. By a fucking bullet wound.
"Y/N? Y/N?!" Suddenly, you could hear Steve's voice echoing through the hallways of the Hydra base; you wanted to scream out to him but you couldn't muster up the energy to. You could hear him opening, slamming and ripping each door opened as he got closer to you. Finally, you could hear the door to the room you were in bust open.
When he saw you, lying on the floor, barely breathing and bleeding profusely, he immediately dropped his shield and ran to you, kneeling down next to you and his hand gently grabbing your shoulder, "Oh my god. Y/N? Can you hear me?"
"I didn't tell them anything Steve, I didn't-"

"Shh, Y/N, don't talk. We're getting you help. Help is on the way." Steve pushed his hand against the wound near your heart causing you to grunt in pain as your blood seeped through his fingers. His other hand went up to the earpiece that let him talk, "Nat, I found Y/N, she's hurt, bad. I need backup, ASAP."

You could feel the taste of blood in your mouth and you could feel your body growing cold from blood loss and oxygen, but you still sputtered out, "They're not going to– to get here in time. Steve, you have to go before they blow this place to shit."

"No! That's not an option! I'm not leaving you here, You going to walk away from this alive, you hear me? I need you to stay with me." Steve replied as he hastily ripped one of the sleeves off of your shirt and reapplied to pressure to the wound. Sucks that this was your favorite shirt.

You were going to respond but you were stopped by the blood coming up your throat causing you to cough and wheeze, spitting blood.

"Don't you dare die on me, Y/N!" Steve yelled through his gritted teeth.

You anxiously grabbed onto the sleeve of his uniform, holding onto him with all your strength. You sputtered blood from your mouth, trying to catch your breath and you tried to look at Steve in the eyes, "Steve... I love you."

You felt a tear drip onto your cheek from Steve and you felt your eyes slipping closed, "No no no no! Y/N open your eyes. Look at me." He moved one of his hands from your wound and placed his hand on your cheek.

You struggled to keep your eyes open and your vision was starting to get blurry. You could feel the warmth of Steve's hand and you reached up and grabbed it tightly, "I love you Steve, I love you." Your body was going numb but you could feel the tears flowing from your eyes.

"I... I love you too, Y/N. I always have. Since the day we met, the day we had our first mission together, when you saved my ass from those agents. I knew I loved you from the moment I saw you." Steve voice cracked.

You could feel your heartbeat slowing and your grip on Steve's hand was loosening. Your body had become so numb that you felt as if you were floating. For a moment you felt peace and mumbled with your last breath,  "You're going to be okay, Steve."

And that was it. Steve could feel your heartbeat falter; and then stop. You were gone. Just like that.

Steve's breath was hitched in his throat. It didn't hit him at first. You were gone. The tears were rolling down his cheeks and he leaned into your neck, resting his forehead on your shoulder, and screamed in anguish.

Credit: cheekybarnes.tumblr.com