Daryl Dixon x Reader

It all happened so fast. At one point you were just minding your own business trying to find a safe place to crash for the night. You never stayed anywhere longer than you needed -  found something to eat, got a bit of sleep and then back on the road.

Suddenly, the sound of voices coming from not far away made you stop. Someone was in trouble, you thought. Without hesitation you ran into that direction. After all that has happened you promised yourself you won't let anyone else die if you can prevent it.

The voices were getting louder and louder, that must have meant you're close. Finally you saw them. Three people - a man, a woman and a boy standing on a car surrounded by walkers. You could tell they were out of ammo since they were only using their knives and a sword.

They were running out of time, you had to act fast.

„Hey, bitches! Come here and have a bite of this fresh meat!" You shouted in an attempt to distract the walkers as you climbed onto a roof of the nearest car.

You didn't have a gun, but you had a bow and thankfully also a lot of arrows. You started shooting one after another as they crawled into your direction.

It didn't take too long to take nearly all of them down especially since your three new friends starting attacking them from behind. You sighed in relief letting your guard down for a second.

„Watch out!" The man shouted.

Too late. One of the walkers took you by your ankle and pushed you onto the ground.

„Fuck." You growled in pain. That's what you get for not paying attention for one goddamn second. You tried to reach your bow which you dropped in the fall but it was too far and that dead sucker was already crawling on top of you.

„Oh come on!" You tried to push his face away with one hand and reach for either your knife or one of your arrows with the other hand but with zero success. Thankfully, you soon didn't have to worry about it when a blade of a sword came right through the walker's head.

„Thanks." You smiled as you took the woman's hand. She smiled back and helped you get up.

„Are you okay?" She asked worriedly once she noticed you can't fully step onto your right foot.

„Yeah, it didn't get me. I was only joking when I told them to bite me. Seems like this one took it way too seriously." You laughed trying to hide the pain. „I must have just hurt my ankle, I'm gonna be fine. Don't worry about it."

„There's a prison not too far away from here. Me and my people use it as a residence for the time being. We're gonna take you back with us and get you a proper treatment for that injury. After that you can go, or you can stay if you want. We could use somebody like you." The man said as he took you into his arms and carried you into their car.

Once you were all set, he stepped on the gas trying to get you all back as fast as possible. Not just because of your leg but also because it was starting to get dark and they were out for quite a while, the others must have been worried.

„I'm Rick, by the way. This is my son Carl and my friend Michonne. What's your name?"

„Y/N."

„I have to ask you a few questions, Y/N, is that okay?" You saved their lives, which he was grateful for, but this was something he just needed to do.

„Y-yeah, sure, whatever you need to know." You nodded as you struggled to adjust your position due to your injury.

„How many walkers have you killed?"

The first question was easy. There was nothing else you hated more than those ... things. They ruined your life just when it was finally starting to have some meaning. Killed everyone you loved. Or at least you thought so.