Chapter 36: Precognition

Gracie was running.

She ran through the gardens, through the alleys, and through the streets. But no matter how much she ran, she could not escape her pursuers.

Gracie did not know who her pursuers were, but she knew she could not let herself be caught.

Unfortunately, no matter how much she ran, her pursuers were always behind her.

Every time she looked back, she could see the shadows behind her, approaching little by little, meter by meter. Each second, they were a bit closer to her.

Gracie(Thoughts): Save me! Q_Q

Gracie tried to scream, but her words were caught in her throat. She tried to speak, but she could not open her mouth.

Looking around, she realized that the streets were desolate. The merchants that normally were selling their wages were not around, the adventurers and hunters going to hunt monsters had disappeared, and the people chatting with their neighbors were gone.

There was nobody there to help her.

Gracie: Sister, where are you? Q_Q

Gracie's eyes turned red.

In a panic, Gracie could only keep running.

Gracie did not know how much or how long she just ran. She only knew that her body was incredibly tired, and her legs hurt. Even taking one step more was hard for her.

It was normal, though. Gracie's body had always been weak. The fact that she managed to run all this while was a mystery.

However, now that she was tired, she could not run anymore.

Gracie did not want to give up. She tried to continue, but her little legs gave up and she collapsed in the ground.

Gracie: No!

Gracie's face was dyed with despair. She looked back and saw the shadows approaching and laughing mockingly to her futile attempts to escape.

Gracie: Please...

She managed to blurter out, but her pleading was answered by cruel laughs and smirks.

Then, one of the shadows extended her hand.

But-

???: Don't you dare to touch her!!!

Salvation finally appeared.

Man: ARGH!!!

With a cry of pain, the shadow grabbed its severed wrist. It cried and screamed in pain and rage while rivers of blood spurt out of its wrist.

She stood there, in front of her. Skyler, her sister and protector. She confronted the shadows without fear, unafraid of the unknown enemies. Strangely, the blood of the shadows could not touch her, as though she was an ethereal existence untouched by mortal dust.

Gracie: Sister!

Gracie cried happily. Skyler looked back over her shoulder and smiled at her little sister, telling her that everything was going to be alright.