Chapter 9

Only a few days separated us from going back to my home country. The plan was to travel to London to fly out of Heathrow so it would make things easier for the Chief. At least, this was Tony's take on the matter. The others really couldn't be arsed either way. They were actually into it because they could go down south the night before, fucking have it, then board the plane where even more partying would take place.

I was going to miss Manchester though. The cobbled streets and the massive amounts of red brick had grown on me. The people there, which included a lot of Liam's closest family and friends, welcomed me with open arms and I felt at home. The accent was a thousand times more attractive to listen to – especially compared to that famous Cleveland one.

Liam may have said he wanted to move down to London and follow in his big brother's footsteps, but I don't think he was in any big hurry. He liked his flat and said he'd miss it when it was gone but would enjoy not having to worry about cooking for himself or doing his own laundry.

But it's not like he had to become famous to enjoy those luxuries. He'd fill his hamper up and I'd go with him to run his washing to Peggy's.

"She said she don't mind doin' yours either." He assured me.

And she didn't. Peggy had become like a second mom to me. It was nice she let us use her washer and dryer since Liam didn't have one. I offered to buy her more detergent and dryer sheets to make up for it. It was the least I could do.

Going over to Peggy's to do the laundry was also an excuse just to go to visit. Liam tried to play up that he was such an adult living on his own, but it only went so far. He was her baby and he liked all the doting on and coddling she did for him. And with Noel out of the city and Paul only living there but doing his own thing, Liam knew this was one of the few times he'd get the most of her attention.

He and I barely had any meals at his flat because he insisted we eat elsewhere.

"Mam likes to cook." He said. "And she knows I like to eat."

And of course it was all about him.

I didn't mind though. It was kind of cute. Liam was one of the few mama's boys whose mother I could actually get along with. Peggy wasn't one of those moms who controlled their sons and made decisions for them. Sure she ruled the roost and the boys knew that but she let them do their own thing and accepted the people they brought into their lives.

"Who's that?" I asked Liam as I pointed at the picture that sat on top of the TV in Peggy's living room. It was a picture of some girl.

"Noel's old girlfriend." He replied.

"Louise?"

"Yeah." He looked at me curiously. "How'd ya know?"

I shrugged. "Lucky guess." I told him.

"Mam really liked her." He continued. "That's why she keeps her picture up there on the telly. I bet it does his fuckin' head in having to see her there, especially when we come to watch footie. But he's the one that fucked up with her. She done a lot for us, gettin' us on The Word and that last year. Then he got too big for his boots and she dumped him. And now he's down in London sulkin' and shit probably writin' even more songs about her. The next album better not be all about her. Fuckin' 'ell!"

I continued to stare at the photo which made me think back to that night just before Christmas. Was Noel really still as hung up on her as it seemed? And if I truly pissed him off as badly as I supposedly did, why did he let me stay in his bed if he really didn't want me in it?