Chapter 143

The weather stayed beautiful throughout our time in Ibiza. While Ohio and England dealt with the snow and cold, the Spanish island had nothing but warmth and sunshine. It made for a nice break and I was happy Noel had thought of such a good idea to go there in the first place.

            But, like any vacation, it had to end at some point. At least that part of it anyway. Noel and I needed to get back to visit Peggy plus prepare for upcoming promotional events for the new album and tour.

            Noel was to appear on The Big Breakfast in a couple weeks while I was to work in the Ignition office. We planned to commute back and forth from Manchester for most of it before everything really kicked off at the beginning of February.

            I put laundry in and picked up the rest of the house while Noel sat out on the pool deck strumming his guitar. I'd stop and watch him out the window every so often but didn't dawdle too long because I wanted to make sure the house was clean (or at least there were no dirty dishes laying around) before we headed home.

            Eventually, I finished up and went straight outside to join him.

            He was sat there on the very edge of the pool with his legs dangling into the water and his acoustic guitar in his lap. He played a tune that sounded similar to "Talk Tonight" but crossed with something else. Something new and he hummed along to it.

            I sat down beside him and dunked my own legs into the water almost up to my knees.

            "No further than that." Noel instructed grabbing my arm to stop me as I adjusted my seating.

            "I'm not." I assured him. "I was just-"

            "Addie, I'll not have ya drownin'."

            "I'm not gonna drown just by-"

            "I don't care! It ain't worth the fuckin' risk!" He furrowed his eyebrows as he let go of his grip on me and focused all his attention back on his guitar. "I should have this pool filled in."

            "Are you gonna have the ocean filled in as well?" I asked.

            He looked up and scowled at me. "That ain't funny!"

            "Do I look like I'm laughin'?"

            "Fine! Do one then!" He snapped. "And if you're lost at sea then I hope that you dr- for fuck's sake, Addie! Why the fuck d'ya always have to ruin such a fuckin' good thing?"

            "I ain't ruinin' nothin'!" I denied. "But I ain't gonna sit here and get chastised for stickin' my legs in the water when you're doin' the exact same thing!"

            "Yeah, well unlike you I know me limits and how to play it safe! You'll fuck about and need me to jump in and save ya when y'know I'm not a strong swimmer so I'd be no good at- don't fuckin' do this to me, Addie!"

            "I ain't doin' nothin' to you, Noel!"

            "Yes, y'are!" He shot back. "I were out here writin' me next number one single and next thing I know, you're comin' out here to mither me and worry me sick and-"

            "I just put my feet in the water!" I splashed them around a bit before gazing down at my reflection.

            He gazed down at it as well and then we both stared at each other staring back at us. "I don't understand you! Ain't you worried about sharks and jellyfish and drownin' and-"