Chapter 13

"Mornin'." Liam said with smile, his eyes still filled with sleep.

            "Morning." I replied.

            The bus was still rolling along down whatever highway we were on. There was a few day break before the next gig and the band and crew planned to enjoy every minute of it.

            Liam and I lay in the bunk snuggled up together for a few minutes.

            "So what's for breakfast?" He asked.

            Screwdrivers and ambrosia. Jack Daniels and Stella. Red Stripe and whatever else could be found in the fridge and other storage places on the bus. Cocaine and weed were the main courses and all the boys didn't waste any time getting their fill.

            Well, almost all the boys.

            "Where's our Noel?" Liam asked scanning the bus. "Is he still sleepin'?"

            "Must be." I said looking back at the closed curtain on Noel's bunk.

            "Lazy fucker's gonna miss out on all the gear. Ya snooze, ya lose. Ha ha!"

            I nodded in agreement then got up from the couch and headed back to the bunk area. Liam was too preoccupied with his next white line to notice what I was doing.

            "Noel?" I said after I pulled back the curtain enough so I could see his face. "Are you okay?"

            He was rolled over on his right side with his back to me. "Yeah." He replied. "Just fuckin' leave me alone!" He pulled the blankets up more over his shoulder.

            I rolled my eyes. 'The bitch is back.' I thought to myself.

            Just then, the stereo kicked on and a catchy beat began pounding through its speakers.

            "Oh for fuck's sake!" Noel groaned as he put his pillow over his head.

            I looked up to the front of the bus and saw the rest of the band teaching Kelly that famous dance. I chuckled as I watched Liam stepping about with his arms waving out in front of him, and a cigarette grasped firmly between his fingers.

            There was enough space beside Noel in the bunk so I crawled in and pulled the curtain shut behind me.

            "What part of 'leave me the fuck alone' don't you understand?" He asked his voice muffled by the pillow.

            "I'll leave you alone when you tell me what's wrong." I replied. "We both know something's up if you're missing out on all the drunken festivities."

            "Can't be arsed for none a that lot's bull shit."

            "Does that mean you're gonna go solo then?"

            His head quickly popped out from under the pillow and he looked at me with curious eyes.

            "It's just a thought." I said. "I mean, this is your band. You started it-"

            "Fuck off, Addie!" He exclaimed.

            "You're right. I should fuck off. That was a lie. You didn't start the band. Tony and them-" I stopped myself when I noticed how pissed off his eyes were looking. "How's your stomach?"

            "It's fine." He replied. "Fuckin' fantastic actually." He rolled back over away from me and clutched his stomach, wincing quietly in pain.

            I rolled my eyes and shook my head as he moaned softly. I leaned over and spoke into his ear. "Do you want another massage?"

            "Fuck yes!" He groaned as he rolled over onto his back. "It feels like someone's stabbin' me."

            "Do you think you should go to the doctor?"

            He shook his head. "No. Stop worryin' about me alright?"

            "Okay." I said quietly. I put my hand on his stomach and started to rub.

            He sighed sounding pretty contented. He closed his eyes and his whole body relaxed.

            I just stared at him and thought while I stroked his abdomen.

You're twistin' my melon man

You know you talk so hip man

You're twistin' my melon man

            It was really hard to read him. Was he actually happy or was he going to get pissed at me again like usual?

Hey good lady he just wants what you got you know

He'll never stop until he's taken the lot

            I wanted us to be civil. Had the previous night been another wash? If he was so fucked off at me, why would he let me stay and listen to him play his guitar?

            And was his stomachache the only reason he asked me to stay in his bed?

Gonna stamp out your fire

He can change your desire

Don't you know he can make

You forget you're a man

            It wasn't like I was innocent in this either. I wanted to be in his bed. I chose to fall asleep next to him-

            "Why'd you leave last night?" He asked without opening his eyes.

            "I didn't leave last night." I clarified. "I left this morning."

            He opened his eyes and his blue eyes filled with that same curiosity from earlier.

            "And you know why I did."

            "He would'tve fuckin' noticed. He hasn't noticed you're gone now."

            "Noel-"

            "If you gave so much of a shit about him you'd be out there with him, not sat back here rubbin' my fuckin' stomach." He cut me off. "You'd be rubbin' him off, right? Not-"

            "What the hell are you playing at?" I said as I took my hand away. "I'm just trying to be nice to you and this is how you thank me? I told you I don't do happy endings, Noel!"

            "I didn't mean it like that! I just don't understand why the fuck you care so much about me."

            "Because I like you." I said quickly.

            He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. "What?" He said.

            "Oh for God's sake!" I shook my head. "This is getting too fucking weird." I sat up and moved to get out of the bunk. "I need to go learn that Bez dance before they stop giving lessons."

            "Addie!" He said as he sat up. "Wait! Please! Let's just-" He stopped as he put his hands on his stomach and winced in pain again.

            I looked at him sympathetically. "Just stay in bed." I said. "You need rest."

            "You're still lookin' after me though, right? That's what they're payin' ya for, innit?"

            I stared at him thinking about it.

            His summary of my job duties was pretty accurate.