Chapter 129

The airport lounge was busy but quiet with people strolling by from every direction wheeling their luggage behind them. I watched them go wondering where they were headed. The same place as us? Or somewhere different?

            Noel sat silently beside me staring blankly off in front of himself. He usually got the newspaper at the airport to pass the time waiting for our flights. He always said books were rubbish but he loved reading the daily paper.

            "We shouldn't fuckin' be here." He finally spoke just loud enough for me to hear.

            "Where should we be then?" I asked curiously.

            "Back in the villa. Up in the trees. Far away from...fuckin' trees! Gettin' in the way of them car parks!" He shook his head glancing down at the floor.

            "Noel-"

            "We need to cancel this fuckin' flight, yeah? And go the fuck back where we come from!" He looked back up at me. "We can't go home. We're not fuckin' goin' back h-...our problems are gonna be waitin' for us when we get there so if we don't leave now we won't have to fuckin' face 'em and I can't be arsed to fuckin' face 'em so we're not gonna fuckin' face 'em! We're not gonna fuckin' go home! We're gonna stay the fuck here in the trees with the turkeys and that's the fuckin' end of it!" He gazed back out in front of himself.

            "Okay. But in order to do that we'll have to-"

            "This ain't a fuckin' joke, Addie!"

            "I didn't say it was!" I denied. "But in order to stay we're gonna have to go over and tell 'em to cancel our fl-"

            "D'ya think I don't fuckin' know that?!" He snapped peering back up at me. "For fuck's sake, Addie! D'ya not think I've had this planned out for-"

            "Alright! Jesus!" I held my hands up defensively. "Let's go and cancel it then." I stood up but noticed he hadn't done the same. I sighed softly rolling my eyes just as slightly as I could. "Do you want me to just go and do it?"

            He grunted quietly turning away from me once more.

            I breathed out rolling my eyes again. "Give me your boarding pass then." I held my hand out to take it.

            "Sit down!" He ordered gently.

            "Thought you said we were gonna-"

            "Addie!" His voice raised just a bit. "Sit the fuck down!" He nodded at the chair I stood up from.

            I did as instructed and got comfortable where I'd been. "So what are we doing then? Are we going back to Phuket or we g-"

            "Don't mock me!" He barked. "Everythin' out your mouth has been a fuckin'-"

            "I'm not mocking you!" I countered. "I'm trying to figure out what you want us to do! You said you wanted us to go back to Thailand now you're acting like you don't want us to so what the heck are we doing?"

            "Havin' an argument apparently! 'Cuz like I told you we can't have a normal conversation. We've always gotta have a fuckin' arg-"

            "Alright!" I threw my hands up in surrender. "I give up! Just tell me where we're going and I'll be right behind you."

            He tutted shrugging his eyebrows in sarcasm. "That's how it always is, innit? Everyone says I like to boss ya around and tell ya what to do. That you can't live your own life and that's why ya run off!"