Chapter 38

"I wish you could come with us." I said to Emma as I searched through the closet to figure out what to wear.

"I wish I could too but I wasn't invited." She replied. "Besides, you'll have Noel so it's not like you'll be alone."

The whole band and their women were heading back to Earls Court that evening. Not to perform but to see if they'd win any new awards.

"They wouldn't bring us back if we didn't." I remembered Tony saying the year before. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd seen him let alone talk to him.

Same goes for Kelly but according to Emma, they were doing well. Still living in Manchester. Still working things out with getting the royalties he was definitely owed.

Paul and Emma were staying in at Supernova Heights while the rest of us went to the ceremony. I hoped we wouldn't be out too late at after parties. I seriously just wanted to get in and get out.

We were off to America in just a few days' time and to be honest, I really didn't want to go. Not because I was against going home. But because I just wanted to stay on break. I still had the lease for the apartment in Lakewood just in case. We were even going to Lakewood so I already planned to stay there...even if no one else liked the idea.

Earls Court was packed with people. News people. Famous people. Snapping pictures and calling the boys' names. They sat us all at the same table with Noel and I sitting right beside Patsy and Liam.

"What's this then?" I asked as I stroked his cheek.

He closed his eyes. "I'm growin' it in, right? But it fuckin' itches! Do us a favor, yeah?" He tipped his head back further.

I dug my nails in deeper and he sighed in content.

That was before our fight, of course, and before it had fully grown in. I stared at him quietly. How he wasn't overheating in that coat was beyond me.

"I'm cool as fuck, me." He'd brag.

And the beard.

'Still makes him look like a dosser.' I thought as I admired how thick it had become.

He also had that dopey look on his face and there was only one cause for that. They'd all been in to the goodtime way before the show.

Celebratory, innit?

They ended up being called to the stage a few times that night, with Noel kissing me each time before they left.

And like always, they had to make their jabs once they got up in front for all to see.

"Has-beens shouldn't be presenting awards to gonna-bes." Noel remarked after a presenter gave Liam a kiss on the cheek.

He belonged to that Paula Yates. Who of course did God only knows what behind the tour bus with-

"Doesn't Liam look great tonight?" Patsy asked interrupting my thoughts. "I think the beard suits him. What you reckon?"

"Yeah. It's alright." I replied, only about half paying attention to her. I was too focused on the boys and all their antics.

Later came the jabs at Blur with Liam dancing around like a fuckwit. He turned around and bent over, and held their award up in front of his ass. I really didn't understand what the fuck he was up to...or what the fuck he was saying for that matter.