Chapter 31

"Can I help you?" I asked as I stood staring at him in the doorway.

            "Look, Adds." He replied. "I'm sorry for-"

            "What have you got to be sorry for? He mouthed off and you taught him a lesson."

            He grinned. "I did, yeah." He looked behind me. "What're you lot doin' in here?"

            "Playing Monopoly." Emma piped up. "And we've got a strict no douche bag policy, so if you wanna play, leave your bull shit at the door."

            "I can do that." He said with a nod. He stepped forward but I stopped him.

            "Promise?" I said as I held my hand up in front him, pressing it against the side of the doorframe.

            "Promise."

            I stepped backward and let him in the room.

            "How you play this game?" He asked as he sat down with the rest of us on the floor.

            "You go around the board and buy property." Emma informed him. "And every time you pass 'Go', you collect two hundred dollars."

            "Okay."

            We started the game up again and he took his turn.

            "Park Place." He read the name of the space he landed on.

            "You wanna buy it?" Emma asked.

            "Yeah. How much?"

            She told him as he reached in the pocket of his jeans.

            "Here ya go." He said as he handed her the black card.

            She looked at him puzzled. "What the hell is this for?"

            "Well I wanna buy it, right? And I wanna pay for it with my American Express-"

            "Come on, Noel!" I exclaimed as I rolled my eyes. "Don't take the piss."

            "I'm not takin' the piss!" He argued. "I'm tryin' to play this fuckin' game!"

            "Then play it right!" Emma chimed in.

            "Nah! That's not in his nature." Paul finally spoke. "Our Noel's always tried to bend the rules when it comes to playin' games."

            "Fuck off!" Noel barked.

            "It's fuckin' true and you know it! Just like when we were kids playin' cowboys and Indians and you'd always insist you weren't dead no matter how many kill shots I gave ya! And now you're fuckin'-"

            "Oh my God! Will you shut! Up?!" Emma yelled. "I thought this shit only happened between him and Liam!"

            "Well-"

            "Enough!" I snapped. "I've had about all I can take of the yelling and bull shitting tonight. Noel, either play right or go the fuck to bed!"

            Things got quiet and the game continued...for a little bit anyway.

            "This money is hardly realistic." Noel remarked as he paid his fee for landing on one of Paul's properties. "There's no such thing as bills this big. Who the fuck-"