Chapter 63

"Adds." Noel said as he shook my shoulder. "Wake up!"

            "What's the matter?" I asked groggily.

            "Ya forgot to set the alarm clock."

            "No I didn't." I looked over at the clock just to make sure.

            "Well how can ya tell?" He inquired.

            "That red light's on." I replied pointing at the dot on the face of the clock.

            "Right." He lay back down and buried his face in the back of my neck.

            I lay my head back down as well and closed my eyes.

            Two seconds later, his head shot up again.

            "So the red light means it's on?" He gripped my shoulder a bit tighter.

            I sighed. "Yes, Noel."

            He moved his legs around a bit. "Well, what if the power goes out?" He continued. "We'll wake up late and we'll miss your-"

            "No we won't!" I argued. "Now will you please stop worrying and get some sleep?"

            I don't think he did which in turn caused me to not be able to either. Michael could still be partially blamed for my lack of sleep...but it was nothing to do with nausea.

            The alarm clock went off at the expected time. I got out of bed and headed for the bathroom with Noel right behind me.

            He used the toilet while I grabbed towels for us to take a shower. After that, I went over to the sink to set out my make-up.

            When Noel was finished, he came up behind me, wrapped his arms around my lower abdomen, and rested his chin on my shoulder.

            We smiled at each other in the mirror.

            "I love our little family." He mused rubbing my stomach.

            "Me too." I agreed putting my hands on top of his.

            Noel held my hand as firmly as he could while the sonographer ran the wand over my stomach trying to find the baby.

            "There's your Michael!" The doctor beamed pointing at the screen when he finally appeared. "And look at that heartbeat!"

            It was back up to the expected speed. At the lower end of the range but still.

            Noel let out one of the biggest sighs of relief I'd ever heard. "Told ya." He said nodding at the monitor. "Our Michael's got the heart of a star, he has."

            They took other measurements and found Michael was still a bit small for where he should be.

            But Noel, to my shock, wasn't worried.

            "Well, we don't expect him to be like a fuckin' big giraffe or summat." He commented.

            "Watch your mouth!" I scolded giving him a nudge in the arm.

            He looked at the doctor and sonographer. "Sorry." He turned back to me. "But it's true!"

            Everything else was good. They gave us more pictures of the ultrasound and Noel was quick to stuff them in his coat pocket for safe keeping.