Chapter 46

The night before the first gig at Maine Road had finally come and the whole Gallagher house could feel it.

The anticipation hung heavy in the air. Flowed out the faucet when we got drinks of water and helped Peggy with the dishes. It swept us all up, including those of us who weren't even going to step foot on that stage.

The bedroom was quiet for a while until Noel started to whimper and toss about. The bed sunk and creaked with every one of his movements even though he tried hard not to make a sound.

"Noel." I said shaking his shoulder while he was turned away from me pressing himself against the wall.

"Go t'sleep, Adds." He instructed without turning to face me. "Big day tomorrow. Won't go well if ya stay up all night."

"It won't go well if you stay up all night either."

He stopped fidgeting and froze still. I held my breath waiting for him to take one until he finally rolled over and looked up at me with worried eyes.

"What if it doesn't go well?" He whispered. "What if we fuck it all-"

"Shut the fuck up, will ya?!" Liam snapped from across the room. His silhouette stood out against the moonlight as he sat up in bed. "It's doin' me head in listenin' to your shite!"

"You-"

"It's gonna go good, yeah? No fuckin' doubt about it. We're Oasis, right? The fuckin' best band in the world."

"Yeah." Noel agreed quietly. "Course we are."

"Go the fuck to sleep then. But do us a favor, yeah? And take that fuckin' stick outta your arse before ya do!"

To my shock, Noel didn't snap back at that remark. He just lay down and pulled the covers up cuddling into me as close as he could.

I glanced over to see Liam doing the same except he had no one in bed beside him. He cuddled in where the wall met his bed and appeared about buried underneath his blankets.

The smell of a cooking fry-up wafted upstairs crawling in under Liam and Noel's bedroom door just enough to make itself known. Peggy promised the night before she'd cook breakfast as she wanted to make sure the boys had their strength for the evening's gig. Tea/dinner was to be catered at the stadium but everyone knew that would never compare to anything she made.

"Who still needs showers?" Emma asked after Noel and I came downstairs. She'd become almost second in command next to Maggie in the recent weeks. Maggie's duties were more for business: helping Marcus arrange things at the venues, that sort of thing. But Emma and I were the boys real "managers". We'd never be minders. We weren't strong enough for that. But the practical things: making sure they got all their stuff out the hotel rooms, ate enough food to provide the sustenance the drugs would never be able to. My sister took her job quite seriously.

And enjoyed having the power that came along with it.

"Noel and I still do." I told her.

"We do, yeah." He agreed as he sat down in the armchair and lit a cigarette. "But we can just take one together. Save the water and time." He smirked before taking a drag.

I playfully slapped the back of his head.

"Ow!" He giggled.

Emma rolled her eyes. "What about Liam?"